Velvet? Help Me Figure Out What's Going On.

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all.

Asking here about my boy Jasper. I was wondering if he has velvet. His water parameters are fine. Cycled 5.5g tank, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates. Our water is around 7.8ph.

I don't really have any great photos of when I first got him to compare with but I'll try. He's a black orchid I got from Petco, and as far as I ever knew, he was just blue and black but getting pictures of him well lit has always been a problem.

He's not lethargic, he's eating well, he just made his first bubble nest. He darts around his tank, but he's always been a very zip-zoom kinda skittish fish. He doesn't seem to be rubbing on things, too much anyway. He's always glass surfed on one wall of his tank, something I've been trying to correct with plants. He doesn't seem to be itching or flashing as far as I know. I've seen him kinda bury himself along the gravel, but I think it's because he's following himself in the reflection of his glass surfing wall.

Jasper doesn't seem clamped, still comes up to be. Doesn't lay at the top or bottom, and his breathing seems normal.

The only real thing is his under chin glimmer and this new gold patch by his dorsal fin that's concerning me. I could understand the shimmer pre-existing, but I know for a fact he's never had this random golden flake by his scale.

Any help and recommendations would be great. Nothing's changed or added to the tank. I'm really confused.

^This is from the day I brought him home, which makes me second-guess the shimmer, as it looks somewhat golden here. This was April 27, 2018.

Here is two images of him from today, followed by the picture that shows off the strange golden speck on his back by the dorsal.

An older image to show the speck wasn't there:

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't think that's velvet. Could a scale have come loose near his dorsal fin? Maybe the gold speck is his skin showing through. How long have you had him?

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sea-potato said:
I don't think that's velvet. Could a scale have come loose near his dorsal fin? Maybe the gold speck is his skin showing through. How long have you had him?
Thank you for the reply.

I've had him since April 27. I'm not exactly sure about the speck. I can't tell if it's above or below his other scales.

Attachments

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
samtchi said:
Thank you for the reply.

I've had him since April 27. I'm not exactly sure about the speck. I can't tell if it's above or below his other scales.
I think the gold under his chin is just his coloring. Velvet looks like gold dust. I don't know what the speck on his back might be, but keep an eye on it and see if it goes away. I've had some small debris and bubbles stuck to my betta fish and they've gone away. Sorry I can't help more, maybe someone else has a better idea!

samtchi

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sea-potato said:
I think the gold under his chin is just his coloring. Velvet looks like gold dust. I don't know what the speck on his back might be, but keep an eye on it and see if it goes away. I've had some small debris and bubbles stuck to my betta fish and they've gone away. Sorry I can't help more, maybe someone else has a better idea!
I'll keep an eye on him, thank you so much. I've been in a panic. My one boy had a gill flared up for no reason and so I've been panicking about parasites and then come home to this craziness with Jasper!

sea-potato

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
samtchi said:
I'll keep an eye on him, thank you so much. I've been in a panic. My one boy had a gill flared up for no reason and so I've been panicking about parasites and then come home to this craziness with Jasper!
I totally understand, I'm new to fishkeeping and I keep reading about all these diseases and parasites they could have and it freaks me out too. My betta Atlas recently had a stressful time dealing with my mistakes but I think I fixed everything and he is doing so much better now. Good luck with Jasper!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom