Vein burst?

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by dezdude, Apr 11, 2010.

1. dezdudeValued MemberMember

My GBR has a new red spot underneath its mouth. It almost looks like just the vein burst or something. I can clearly see the veins in that one area. Any idea on what this may be? Fish is eating fine and doesn't seem to be in any harm or stress.

wish i could post a photo, my camera can't seem to focus on the fish.

2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

If you could try to get a picture that would be nice. Its not uncommon for a vein to burst on a fish. As long as it isnt a main vein or artery I think it should be fine. It'll clot and heal over. But if it gets worse then you might want to do something. What are the parameters in your tank, and what do you feed them? I ask because I'm actually doing research on Internal Bleeding in fish. It would be nice to know. Thanks! And Best of Luck.

3. dezdudeValued MemberMember

I dont know how to check the parameters in the tank. last month i took in my water and the fish store said it was good.

ill try and get the camera to work. I feed, flakes, pellets, and occasionally some blood worms

4. Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

Somebody from fl shared a site with me that might really help you figure out what's going on with your GBR. Here it is:  . Hope it helps!

:animal0068:please note: There are GRAPHIC photos of fish disease in the link provided.
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2010
  5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello DezDude,

It's best to be able to test your own water chemistry and not depend on what the fish store tells you. The API (liquid, not test strips) Master Test Kit is most widely recommended on this site. I use it also. You can buy the kit or you can buy each individual test depending on your budget.

Your fish will thank you for it too :)

Ken