Veil With Deformed Fins Question

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Fishywife, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Hi, so I got my 3 as angels delivered today, I'm surprised that they made it alive. It was an overnight delivery, paid through the nose for it too. The heat pack was cold. The large platinum veils bag had leaked he was in just 2 inches of water.. he has ammonia bu RCn and the water stank like a dead mystery snail. His fins are bent too. The smaller marble and pinoy fared a bit better, with more water in the bags. Thier water was smelly too, but not like the platinum veils. All seem to be recovering and swimming about in my painfully small qt tank.

Will this platinum fins ever recover from this? My marble Lucifer has massive fins but thankfully they are straight. This poor platinum is a sight for sore eyes. 15239773470206445664504555250629.jpg 15239774517461704530908363109235.jpg

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

It was overnight and the water stank? The seller didn't do a good job with them then.
    The fins might straighten out (if they were straight before of course), if not it should not be a genetically passed trait (you can get drastic with it and trim the fins down to cause them to grow back straight, but this is very stressing for fish and can cause them to be vulnerable to infection or disease).

3. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

Yes, the veils water smelt disgusting, not much air in the bag most of the water was in the shipping box. I honestly think if they had of been delivered an hour later he would have been doa.

I really dont think I could cut his bent bits of fins off. If it was to save his life, maybe, but for cosmetic reasons? Nope. To me it's like cutting a dogs tail off! Nope, nope and triple nope! I'm hoping with some decent water and once hes out of my qt tank with a lot more room his fins will straighten out a bit.

4. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

So it's been 24 hours or so since I got them, the platinum ws which arrived in the worst shape has actually eaten some bloodworm. The other 2 are looking a bit listless. The pinoy hasn't colored up much and looking pale. In all, how long should I give it before I start worrying that they aren't eating? I did dose qt tank with maracyn2 as a preventative as the veil had quite bad ammonia burn

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Just not eating is one thing but then being listless is a little bit more worrying. Because I'm not entirely sure what that could be

6. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

I'm an idiot. A total bonafide idiot. I just put a thermometer in the tank, it read about 73f... checked the heater.. bingo. I forgot to plug it in yesterday after I water changed the tank in prep for the new arrivals! DUH!!! I've just also tested it. 0 everything. For 3 reasonably large fish with 2 cycled filters running its wierd. I added another filter last night (just a sponge) to increase waterfowl as it would seem the sponge in the powerfilter needs replacing. I feel like such a dunce!

15240693992682400823479893081972.jpg hmmm possibly .25 ammonia there? Imagine keep a close eye on it.

7. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

Oh gosh. I feel your pain. I have done that before with my heaters! Luckily my place is always very warm. So even without heaters they get no lower than 75. But still, angels like in around 80. So I always feel bad when I forget to plug it back in!

Zero for nitrates indicates you are not cycled......If the filters were both cycled, you should have a reading for nitrates....

As for the dorsal. That won't correct itself at the size the angel is now. I have seen it improve when the fish had the bend at like dime sized, but that angel is pretty big already. So I would call the bend permanent. BUT I wouldn't necessarily call it genetic. It could also be environmental.

I hope they perk up with some warmth!

8. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

20180417_124434.jpg I'm guessing the maracyn2 knocked the cycle out. Grrr. So here's what I can do. I have my 40b with my lone female in (the one that divorced her hubby) the eggs I believe she ate (first time ever) so theres nothing to protect. I'm wondering if I should take the noobs from the qt and risk putting them in with her? My qt is 10g. I can PwC and completely rescape it today then move them. Only thing thsts stopping me is I don't want to stress them out any more than is necessary and I dont know how madam beelzebub is going to react. The platinum and marble are a good size match, the pinoy is smaller. I could also put my beloved Lucifer back in there although hes enjoying himself being king of the castle in my 55g. Lol

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  9. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

No don't move anyone around. QT is very important. Just steal some media from the filter of one of your established cycled tanks and shove it into the filter on the QT. What kid of filters do you have on each?

10. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

I only have box filters or sponges suitable for the 10g. My 55g community has a sunsunhw304b canister, my 40g breeder has an aquaclear110, my 55g growout has a lot of cycles sponge filters in which is where I take one out if needed. Hmmm. I dont want to stress them more. Maybe I shouldn't of maracyn'd the qt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice