Veil Angelfish, Raggedy Caudal Fin

mossman

Member
I purchased a Veil Angelfish (silver with black stripes) from my LFS 2-1/2 weeks ago, and his caudal fin was pretty raggedy. I have him in my quarantine tank and have been treating the tank with Melafix. His fin is looking better, but I'm anxious to move him into my display tank. The photos of Veil Angels I've seen online all have raggedy caudal fins as well. Is this normal for this type of fish? Is it okay if I go ahead an move him to my display tank?
 

ValerieAdams

Member
I QT for 6 weeks. The longer you can wait the better in my opinion. Especially if you're attached to your fish you already have. Ultimately it's up to you though
 

Jafa

Member
I just googled them and some are very ragged.
Mine aren't, but they are not as neat as shorter finned angels.
They are easily damaged.

I agree with using Melafix, great for soothing anxious fish, with mild anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.

It's always a gamble introducing new fish.
In 1-2 weeks most contagions would be apparent already.
Personally, I would move him but I totally respect Valerie's cautious advice to wait 6 weeks.
I would do another treatment of Melafix in my main tank to settle him in.
 

bizaliz3

Member
Show us a pic before you resort to anything else.

I am embarrassed to admit I didn't realize the tail was called a caudal fin.

Anyway, there is such a thing as "comb tail veil tails" and they look ragged naturally. Not all veil tails should look raggedy, but for them it is natural.
 

Addie42

Member
maybe good advice maybe bad advice here:

my angel's fin was raggedy because another angel (now rehomed) was nipping it constantly if you have other fish maybe make sure nothing it biting it if it looks "raggidy-er" than the pics you see online
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
Addie42 said:
maybe good advice maybe bad advice here:

my angel's fin was raggedy because another angel (now rehomed) was nipping it constantly if you have other fish maybe make sure nothing it biting it if it looks "raggidy-er" than the pics you see online
He's been in quarantine since I purchased him 2-1/2 weeks ago, but could have been nipped at by his tank mates at the LFS. I'll definitely keep an eye on things after I introduce him to my display tank.
 

bizaliz3

Member
mossman said:
He's been in quarantine since I purchased him 2-1/2 weeks ago, but could have been nipped at by his tank mates at the LFS. I'll definitely keep an eye on things after I introduce him to my display tank.
I'd love to see a pic before you get too concerned.
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
I'm not currently at home, but will snap a photo and post it tomorrow.
 

bizaliz3

Member
mossman said:
I'm not currently at home, but will snap a photo and post it tomorrow.
In the mean time google:

Combtail angelfish

and tell me what you think.
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
Here's a pic.
 

Attachments

Jafa

Member
They have definitely been munched by someone. His analfin is quite reduced in size.
But they are growing back just fine.
He looks to be thriving!
Is he eating well? My rescued angels are always ravenous!
 

bizaliz3

Member
Ya, that's definitely damage.

As long as the tips don't start looking white you're good. They'll recover.

Best and fastest way to regrow fins....lots and lots and lots of water changes!
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
I did a water change last night. The water was surprisingly dirty. I believe it is from the rock ornament I put in the tank last week. It had some dead algae on it, and ever since it has been in there (I removed it several days ago), clumps of light brown matter have been showing up on the bottom of the tank. Coincidentally, the fish has not been eating since the day I put the ornament in there. My best guess is he's been eating the algae. He used to do after food as soon as I dropped it in. Now he ignores it..

I also noticed just recently that his left pectoral fin is clamped against his body the majority of the time, and is also much smaller than his right fin. He was in a small tank with five other angels at the LFS, so evidently there was a good amount of nipping going on.
 

bizaliz3

Member
Fin clamping is not a good sign. And angels would not be eating algae rather than the food you are providing.

It sounds like your fish was beat up pretty bad. All the fins are damaged and fin clamping is not a good sign.

If it were me I would do small daily water changes until the fins recover and the fish gets their appetite back.

When was the last time you tested your water?
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
bizaliz3 said:
Fin clamping is not a good sign. And angels would not be eating algae rather than the food you are providing.

It sounds like your fish was beat up pretty bad. All the fins are damaged and fin clamping is not a good sign.

If it were me I would do small daily water changes until the fins recover and the fish gets their appetite back.

When was the last time you tested your water?
Its just the left fin. The right fin is never clamped. I assume it is because the left doesn't do much since it is so small.

I'll definitely do more frequent water changes. I've been adding Melafix every day, which is why I haven't been doing them more frequently then once per week.

I test it occasionally and the levels are always good. He's been clamping his left fin since the day I got him.
 

bizaliz3

Member
Even with good water quality, there is no better medicine for damaged fins than water changes. And I mean like daily water changes. Or every two days at least. Regardless of your water quality. You don't even need to be using melafix or anything like that. Just lots and lots and lots of water changes!!
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
That's the plan. Thanks.
 

angelcraze

Member
I like to add more capatta leaves when I see a problem with my soft water fish. That and increase water changes to daily or at least every other day is my first course of action as others have said. Do you happen to have any IALs? (Indian Almond Leaves or Capatta leaves)
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
angelcraze said:
Do you happen to have any IALs? (Indian Almond Leaves or Capatta leaves)
Haha, no. I do not.

Just ordered a package. They'll arrive tomorrow
 

Jafa

Member
I think if he is not eating well, keep him in quarantine.
I doubt he is contagious but he needs some respite.
I reckon he is just bruised and battered, emotionally as well as physically.

I think fish do well in company. Do you have a friendly molly or zebra danio, to stimulate his appetite?
(lol, I mean watching them eat will make him eat...)
Also, my angels go crazy for frozen brine shrimp.
I have one 'sensitive soul' who won't chase food, it has to be delivered with an exciting squirt and swish of the feeding pipette right in front of him. (reminds me of feeding seahorses)
THEN he gobbles eagerly...
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
I'll definitely be keeping him in quarantine for a while. He was eating flake food, freeze dried blood worms, and shrimp pellets when I first got him. Now he is just disinterested.
 

Jafa

Member
mossman said:
I'll definitely be keeping him in quarantine for a while. He was eating flake food, freeze dried blood worms, and shrimp pellets when I first got him. Now he is just disinterested.
Is he alone?
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
Yes. He is alone.

I wouldn't mind getting a pair of black mollies. I don't really care for zebra danios. Are they even temperature compatible with angels?
 

Gourami36

Member
mossman said:
I wouldn't mind getting a pair of black mollies. I don't really care for zebra danios. Are they even temperature compatible with angels?
No they are not. Keeping the danios at a higher temperature will speed up their metabolism and shorten their lifespan
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
So a pair of black mollies would be fine?
 

Jafa

Member
mossman said:
Yes. He is alone.
Fish can get depressed. They do best with company. Can be any species, so long as they are perky!

I had to move a bossy angel for a while. I put him in my tall Molly tank, he's a biggish fish.

He just loved all the Mollies. And fed happily beside them.
It looked funny as he is so big and they are not.

I pair of black mollies would be perfect!
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
The molly would eventually end up in one of my display tanks, so I need to consider that. One tank has laser cories and glowlights, and the other has cories, dwarf gourami, and glofish. Can the cories handle the higher temps required by the mollies?
 

Gourami36

Member
mossman said:
The molly would eventually end up in one of my display tanks, so I need to consider that. One tank has laser cories and glowlights, and the other has cories, dwarf gourami, and glofish. Can the cories handle the higher temps required by the mollies?
What species are the corydoras? 75 degrees would be ok for mollys and most corydoras
 

Jafa

Member
Mollies are adaptable.
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
Cories are orange laser and bronze.
 

Gourami36

Member
mossman said:
Cories are orange laser and bronze.
Orange laser corydoras prefer soft/acidic water and mollys like hard but I think it should be fine as long as your water isn’t too soft/too hard
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
kH is around 4 degrees, gH is around 3, and pH is 7.8.
 

Jafa

Member
I would say that your ph is too high for angels.
But my rescue angels came from a long-term alkaline tank with Frontosa +.
Their scales were roughened but they were thriving. Go figure.
 

Gourami36

Member
mossman said:
kH is around 4 degrees, gH is around 3, and pH is 7.8.
That might be a bit low. The ph is fine though. For the mollys
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
What effect with the Indian Almond Leaves have on the water hardness?

Put a couple almond leaves in an hour ago and now he's on the bottom of the tank laying on his side. No clue **** is going on. I thought I had this fish keeping thing down. Can't help but think 2 weeks of melafix did him in.
 

Jafa

Member
mossman said:
Put a couple almond leaves in an hour ago and now he's on the bottom of the tank laying on his side. No clue is going on. I thought I had this fish keeping thing down. Can't help but think 2 weeks of melafix did him in.
I have NO concerns that it was the Melafix that has hurt him. It would ONLY help him!
Is he STILL alone?
Sadly I think it might be too late for this poor angel.

When a fish is not well we must move quickly to provide an optimum treatment/solution and then wait (and pray).
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
He's dead now. It's like as soon as I put the almond leaves in, he started acting drunk and now is no longer breathing.

Is it possible that he would have died if he was still at the fish store? I don't understand how he could be acting perfectly fine when I brought him home, eating, swimming, in a clean tank with no one nipping at him, Melafix, water changes, almond leaves, then dead 2-1/2 weeks later.
 

Mcasella

Member
Angelfish can often have unseen parasites that do them in, even if the fish looks in perfect health on the outside. I've had several that have just kicked the bucket after them eating fine and acting fine, leaving me completely puzzled as to why there is a dead angel in the tank with no signs of anything wrong.
Deworm any future angels you get (I would suggest a small QT tank like a sterilite tub-for easy maintenance but also easy storage- to avoid it spreading to your other fish if it can be passed on.
 
  • Thread Starter

mossman

Member
I always use a QT tank. Except I've never treated fish for worms in my QT tank. What's a good general purpose med I can use?
 

Mcasella

Member
Seachem paraguard, fenbendazole/flubendazole, are options, there are a couple more or you can go for deworming flake food if the fish is eating when you get it (to be fair the flake tastes different compared to untreated flake so some fish will reject the food).
 
Top Bottom