Vegetative Or Flower? Question

1. MaeKay Member Member

This is an offshoot of my Amazon sword. Is that a plantlet that will grow roots and I can pick off eventually? Or is it a flower stalk?

My rosette sword was much more compact and grew roots before I pinched them off. I have done this twice now and have two more beautiful rosette swords.

7c218ffc3697ad4395a44e7feb513a53.jpg

3ab3ca7f2fd910270d783764c67afe9a.jpg

8eee64a42f8d68f1d07177dfc967a860.jpg

2. Demeter Well Known Member Member

Pretty sure it's a baby plant, pretty odd that it would go straight up though.

3. aniroc Well Known Member Member

It could grow flowers (at the nodes) above the water level or plantlets below. Flowers are small and only last a day or two. My avatar picture is an ozelot sword flower.

4. ChiefBrody Member Member

Right so it started a new plant at or close to the water line. Probably an adaptation to steal light from other lower plants. Definitely snip it and plant it/gift it/sell it. Congratulations you're propagating swords now

5. MaeKay Member Member

Should I snip it before or after roots appear? I'm pretty excited to be able to propagate swords because a neighbor hasn't been able to. I started selling plants to at least fund my hobby/addiction.

6. ChiefBrody Member Member

If you snip it now put it somewhere it won't get disturbed by big digging/eating fish. I wait til the day of the auction and cut them then. Now that I have a refugium tho I can put them in there to grow out

7. MaeKay Member Member

It did end up flowering. But I'm still going to try to snip them off and plant them. I only have small fish that don't dig or pick at the plants.

8. aniroc Well Known Member Member

Wait until they grow roots and leaves are few inches long. You can gently detach the baby sword from the stalk and plant it or you can weight down the stalk in a way that the plantlet touches the substrate and anchor itself. The stalk is very tough to break, cut it at the base with scissors.

9. MaeKay Member Member

Turns out they were vegetative. I eventually got the top node to root so I pinched it off. The next two nodes below that have plantlets on them but no roots. I may pinch one off to experiment if it will root on it’s own. Everything else in my tank does.

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Wait. Roots will occure on the plantlets.
    Then pinch them of.

11. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Agreed, wait for roots before removing. You can use plant weights to weigh down the stalk so it's not at water line.

12. MaeKay Member Member

Good idea!