Vegetables?

1. RubyDragon

RubyDragon New Member Member

I've had my common pleco for about 3 years now. I'm just finding out that he should be getting vegetables of some sort. What can I give him? He's (not even sure it's a he, we just call it a he, actually we call him Mr. Clean, even though he is anything but) about 8 inches long, in a 55 gallon with 7 rasboras and a betta.

2. NCE12940

NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

All sorts really - squash (zucchini, yellow), cucumber, sweet potato, red bell pepper, shelled peas, etc. The only ones I *cook* for my BNs are peas - squeeze the shell off before you feed. I only cook enough to make it easy to shell.

3. OP
    OP
    RubyDragon

Thanks! How often? Daily? Weekly?

4. NCE12940

NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Depending on what else they have to eat (algae, food that other fish miss), a few times a week, if they are enthusiastic about the veggie. They will have preferences. And you don't want to leave it in the tank too long as it'll get mushy and make a mess. Oh, haven't tried this myself yet but some people also feed watermelon. I use a Pleco Feeder for veggies ( http://www.theplecofeeder.com/ ). Easy to use and clean.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

My pleco loves zucchini and peas. I feed him a piece of zucchini and leave it by his hiding spot which is behind his favorite piece of driftwood. I fed my fish peas today and my pleco came out and was eating with all the fish! It was really fun watching him eat peas.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. lala29

lala29 Well Known Member Member

I dont have plecos but i have otos and they love cucumber, courgette, watermelon, peas, carrot.... Anything you have laying around really!!

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Someone I know gives their plec those large open mushrooms & it goes nuts for them

8. hampalong

hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure if that's good for them, they're quite high in protein aren't they? (Most common plecs will also go nuts for anything meaty, which isn't that good for them in large doses).

9. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Plecs do need some protein as they're omnivores & as far as I'm aware mushrooms are fine as part of their diet along with other veg.
    After you mentioned it I did some looking on pleco sites & it seems like a lot of plec keepers feed mushrooms as part of their diet, but in moderation

10. OP
    OP
    RubyDragon

Ok, so lots of options to try! Yes, he does get algae wafers and occassionally shrimp pellets and whatever my greedy rasboras might miss. Thanks so much everyone!