Vegetables-what types to feed and how to feed?

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

I was just wondering can you just get a slice of zuchinni and chuck it in there. Do you need to tie it down cause I saw a piece of cucumber in a tank that some fish were eating in a pet shop. What else do you guys/girls feed your fish (vegetables) ????

2. fletch Member Member

Ive use small bits of cucumber and carrot in the past. What is zuccini?

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Zucchini (courgette) floats.  Some folks nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to make it sink.  I use veggie clips to hold mine against the glass near the bottom of the tank.  If you have good sized rocks in your tank, you can hold it down that way also.  My pleco also loves cucumber, but the seeds can be messy.  Yellow squash is also good, along with brocolli (also messy).  I've even dropped half of a sweet potatoe in the tank, and my pleco loved it

4. fletch Member Member

I dont like to just put any vegetable in there, Im just a bit worried that one time it may be toxic

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Fletch, generally, anything safe to eat for humans is okay in your tank. That is of course general and would not include foods with spices or sauces. I think it's meant for raw veggies and fruits. I have never heard of any fruits or veggies being harmful to fish. Some folks even feed oranges to their goldfish!

6. swimfan Member Member

Would any fish go for veggies? I've seen zucchini in the pet store tanks, but wondered if this was appropriate for only specific fish types? I've got two black skirt tetras.

7. fletch Member Member

Oh, thats what you meant by moving your skirts yesterday!!! I think all fish love veg. Trial and error is the best way to find out

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Do some research on the fish that you have in your tanks. Some are carnivors, some are herbivores. It won't hurt any of your fish to eat veggies, but if they are carnivores, you want to make sure they get their meat for protein. It's really good to feed your carnivorous fish some veggies at least once a week to keep their digestive systems clean. Zucchini is not inappropriate for any fish. Some fish will just refuse to eat it. If you put some zucchini in an oscar tank, I doubt they would eat it, and would probably tear it to pieces, and you would have a big mess in your tank, although, they don't mess with it when I do it for my pleco, but then they are used to it. It's just a matter of trial and error, but I've never heard of a fish getting sick eating fresh veggies.

9. swimfan Member Member

lol! ahhh, the typed word...... can be so confusing!

and thanks Gunnie, i had no idea about the veggies. I'll read up a little on my guys and try something like that later today!

10. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah veges are good for the fish's digestion - most of mine love mushy peas and the goldfish ate satsuma the other day too!

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

I think I might try some cucumber because I think there's some in the fridge. I try it out and see how they go

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I use a veggie clip to hold veggies for my fish. I tried microwaving them once to make them sink and they didn't seem to eat them as well, maybe because they were already used to eating them raw. One word of caution: If you do decide to microwave your veggies make sure the are cool inside before feeding them to your fishies. I didn't remember that microwaved food gets hotter inside and almost fed my fishes hot food.
    Carol

13. Jason Well Known Member Member

No problem for me as I dont even have a microwave

14. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Can I give lettuce, cucumber, or zuccini to my angelfish, neons, and golden algae eater? In particular, is lettuce safe? Will they all eat them?

15. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

All of those will be fine in your tank. Just remember that fish, like people, have personal preferences. My fish may love zucchini, but yours may not. You will just have to play with it.

16. Jason Well Known Member Member

I had a try with a bit of cabbage today. Some liked it others were scared of it. They wern't all that interested in it, but a few fish ate. Carrot didnt go well no-one liked it just left it so I removed it

17. FishFan Member Member

After reading this the other day-I tried Honeydew melon, cucumber & watermelon....and the winner was........WATERMELON!!! They ALL loved it-but I found my Velvet Swordtail pair & my Red-Tailed Shark loved it the most!!! I was amazed! Try different things-it's fun to watch them sample it!

18. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I tried watermelon last night and my clown loaches loved it and then the angels had to see what tehy were eating and try some too, although they did make a mess. Had not thought to try that. Thanks fishfan!!! My fish eat just about everything else tho.
    Carol

19. Jason Well Known Member Member

I dont think I could feed my fish watermelon because i'd eat it before I'd get to put it in the tank.

20. Jason Well Known Member Member

Just thought of htis is citrus fruit harmful to them because of the citrus acid