Vegetables suitable for White Cloud Mountain minnows

Human

I read that you should feed White Cloud Mountain minnows vegetables like zucchini, spinach, or lettuce, but I don’t eat those a lot so they would be bought for only the fish and rot in the fridge. Would things like Chinese cabbage, Chinese broccoli, Taiwanese lettuce, or water spinach work instead? Is the rule darker green is better the same for fish as well?

Fishproblem

Human said:
I read that you should feed White Cloud Mountain minnows vegetables like zucchini, spinach, or lettuce, but I don’t eat those a lot so they would be bought for only the fish and rot in the fridge. Would things like Chinese cabbage, Chinese broccoli, Taiwanese lettuce, or water spinach work instead? Is the rule darker green is better the same for fish as well?
I pre- cut and freeze a lot of the veggies I feed my fish, even though I do eat a lot of the usual food items too, so that's an option.

Otherwise, I'd say all the foods you've listed as alternatives are great choices too.

DoubleDutch

Whitw Clouds are almost 100% carnivorious so I don't understand the need for vegs.

Human

Fishproblem said:
I pre- cut and freeze a lot of the veggies I feed my fish, even though I do eat a lot of the usual food items too, so that's an option.

Otherwise, I'd say all the foods you've listed as alternatives are great choices too.
I’ll just pretend I didn’t forget about the freezer for a moment, oops lol. Thanks.

Human

DoubleDutch said:
Whitw Clouds are almost 100% carnivorious so I don't understand the need for vegs.

All the ones I read, 10+websites, said it to feed with vegetables as well.

This website says omnivorous.
Not saying you’re wrong, I only know what I read, sorry if I sound rude. But if they are pure carnivores can I still feed them vegetables?

DoubleDutch

Human said:

Not saying you’re wrong, I only know what I read, sorry if I sound rude. But if they are pure carnivores can I still feed them vegetables?
No you don't sound rude at all.
Link doesn't work in my country.

Seriously Fish is a good source to me.

A lot of fish are omnivores but one more at the herbivorious side and another at the carnovorious side. Of course you can feed vegs they might get a bite of it.
But on the long run these fish need more of the proteinfood than vegs.

Human

DoubleDutch said:

A lot of fish are omnivores but one more at the herbivorious side and another at the carnovorious side. Of course you can feed vegs they might get a bite of it.
Okay thanks.
I was assuming about 50/50 for veg/meat but if they’re more meat eaters, about 75% or more should be protein?

Fishproblem

Human said:

DoubleDutch said:

Mine thrive on a combination of frozen brine shrimp (primary daily food source) and Fluval Bug Bites for tropical fish every two or three days.

It's technically an omnivorous diet, as the main ingredients in the Bug Bites are as follows:
Dried black Soldier Fly Larvae, Salmon, Concentrated Fish Protein, Green Peas, Potato

DoubleDutch knows encyclopedias more than me when it comes to fish, so I would always defer to them! My feeling is that some form of veg (only if they're eating it) every once in a while for your carnivorous aquarium fish will help make sure all nutritional needs are being met. In the wild, they'd consume prey that had recently consumed vegetation. In captivity, the meaty foods we give them don't always contain as much vegetable matter.

DoubleDutch

Fishproblem said:
Mine thrive on a combination of frozen brine shrimp (primary daily food source) and Fluval Bug Bites for tropical fish every two or three days.

It's technically an omnivorous diet, as the main ingredients in the Bug Bites are as follows:
Dried black Soldier Fly Larvae, Salmon, Concentrated Fish Protein, Green Peas, Potato

DoubleDutch knows encyclopedias more than me when it comes to fish, so I would always defer to them! My feeling is that some form of veg (only if they're eating it) every once in a while for your carnivorous aquarium fish will help make sure all nutritional needs are being met. In the wild, they'd consume prey that had recently consumed vegetation. In captivity, the meaty foods we give them don't always contain as much vegetable matter.
That is exact why wolves and other predators often go for the guts of their prey first !!!

DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch said:
That is exact why wolves and other predators often go for the guts of their prey first !!!
But never saw wolves fed lettuce hahahaha

Latest threads

Top Bottom