Various questions from fin rot/regeneration to vitamin supplements to rehab!

juliaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, this is my first post on fish lore and I'm hoping I can get some answers

I'll just cut right to the chase - on to the first question!

I got my halfmoon, Zeke, in mid-February. My last halfmoon looked very much like Zeke with the same white edging only he was blue but his caudal fin became so ragged and torn over time, I wanted to prevent the same from happening to Zeke. So, I took precautions to make sure nothing tore at his fins: no plastic, no sharp edges, etc. STILL though he ended up with a tattered caudal fin. It's not as extreme as my last betta's as he still has a white trim but here's a visual timeline:

1.png

I'm almost pretty sure it's not fin rot (although I did think it was for some time and bought some medication called "Simply Betta Fungus and Bacteria Cure" at the recommendation of a LFS employee), but of course if it is please tell me! In the light, the black spots on his white trim turn purple which is part of his iridescence; however, it's still a little fishy (no pun intended) since in his earliest picture Zeke doesn't have purple branching in his white trim...
I actually thought there was just tearing on his caudal fin but comparing from the Feb. pic to the last May pic you can see that his analfin is torn a bit too. You can also see that in the two pictures taken in May he developed a split on his caudal fin :/ ALSO, I must ask, is the curling in his dorsal fin normal? I've seen it on some other bettas but have also seen fuller fins and am wondering if there's any way to reverse it.

Some more information: I keep him in a bowl about two gallons; I keep him at room temperature which is about 77 degrees Fahrenheit (I plan on trying to get a hydor mini heater); I feed him Bettamin (Tetra) and am going to get some freeze-dried bloodworms; I change his water weekly and condition it using Tetra Betta Safe. He is very, very active, is an 'aggressive' eater; he blows bubblenests and fans.

What can I do to help the fins regenerate and prevent tattering/splitting??

--------

Second question:

I very recently purchased a double tail male from Petco I'm excited to say Unfortunately, he is VERY beat up as you can see in the picture below:

2.png

He has a pretty big pinhole in his lower caudal lobe, various rips, and a HUGE chunk missing from his analfin. I'm not sure if he's still young or just naturally small because he's almost half the size of my crowntail and halfmoon.

I couldn't just leave him in Petco! I fell in love with him despite his pitiful appearance and I know he can be so beautiful if just given the right treatment.. the only problem is that I'm not quite sure where to start. :/

Anybody with greater experience with betta 'rescusing' (or handling in general) able to give me some advice?

-------

Third and final question!:

Phew! Well, my last question is about garlic juice and vita-chem haha.
I did some research online and saw so many peole raving about vita-chem and how it helps restore fins among many other wonderful things I just said to myself,"I should definately try it!" Only thing is that my local Petco doesn't carry it and my parents think spending money on/going through the trouble for my fish is stupid and a waste of money v_v

Does anybody know of a petstore chain that carries vita-chem or a product very much like it?

As for garlic juice, I have fresh garlic gloves but I'm just unsure as to how to use it for my bettas' food. I already have some garlic paste that had been boiled and mashed for culinary purposes but does it matter that it was boiled? Sorry, I'm very meticulous and want to do this right!

------------

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much for taking the time to read! <3

Last edited:

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For fin re-growth, change the water more often. Maybe half water changes every other day. Vita-Chem is awesome as is garlic soaked foods, which I can attest to. Just last week my 2 breeder boys were torn up, already their fins are half grown back in from daily 30% water changes (5 gallon tank) garlic soaked foods once a day, and vita-chem every other day.

If you are going to get freeze dried anything, be sure to soak them first as once they are in the fish's stomach they will expand and can cause problems.

For betta rescue, or any betta, good clean water and good food are really all you need. And love. Lots of love.

I can't help on making fresh garlic into garlic soaked foods, or a local chain for Vita Chem.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
I'm not real sure if you're dealing with fin rot or not. Some one with more experience in recognizing it will answer for you.

At this point, super clean water, and as you read, vita-chem and garlic are all good to help your boy.
77F is rather cool, as you know. Try and shoot for around 79ish.
I don't know of any chain stores that carry vita-chem. You might want to call around to regular fish stores.

I've heard and read about the curling in healed fins, but I don't think there's much you can do about it. They also might come in at a different color than what he lost.

Most likely, as with vegetables, boiling the garlic may have taken out some of the nutrients.
I don't know if you've seen this sticky:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/minced-garlic-in-a-jar-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

Both of your boys are gorgeous!

Good luck

juliaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@cajun: just made a water-changing/garlic-feeding regimen to match yours so hopefully it'll help my boys. i've read about soaking freeze-dried-foods and wasn't exactly sure if it was necessary but now i see that it most definately is haha. thanks so much for your help!

@lucy: hi! i have everything minus vita-chem and a heater argh i would've thought that every pet store would carry this wonderful supplement but apparently not haha just my luck! ah, thanks for the link though. you saved me from having the trouble of hand-mashing garlic x) hehe and thank you yes i love them too thanks so much for your advice!

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Vita-Chem is a very good supplement. Usually, it has to be ordered online.

Garlic Guard among other garlic supplements can sometimes be found at various LFS. Some members also use garlic juice from the store.

A couple of other products that can help with the healing of fins are Stress Coat and Fish Protector. Stress Coat is readily available at almost any store that carries fish supplies. The local Petco I go to carries Fish Protector ... but many stores don't.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Juliaaa, and welcome to Fish Lore! Ooo, your boy Zeke is soooo pretty! I certainly hope he gets better. Really good advice from everyone. My computer won't load up the picture of your rescue Betta, but I rescued a Betta not too long ago that was pretty beat up. I kept him in a 1 gal. bowl, which was all I had at the time. Frequent water changes (every day for a couple weeks, then every other day) and garlic soaked foods really helped him. His fins are almost back to regular length, and he's happily blowing bubblenests in his new home! Best wishes for your boys!

juliaaa

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@aquarist and ccb: i've been using store bought garlic for my bettas and they gobble it right up so i think i'll stick to that i'm still hoping that i'll be able to find some vita-chem in the LFSs but i'll definately check out the website if i can't find any. thanks guys!

@charlemagne: thank you! i really hope he does too, ah. i have him in a one gallon bowl too and am doing daily 50% water changes as well as feeding him garlic soaked food so hopefully the same regimen works for me! thank you!

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
@aquarist and ccb: i've been using store bought garlic for my bettas and they gobble it right up so i think i'll stick to that i'm still hoping that i'll be able to find some vita-chem in the LFSs but i'll definately check out the website if i can't find any. thanks guys!
No problem.

Several members use store bought garlic juice. I've only seen Vita-Chem at one of my local stores ... and they don't have it in all the time for some reason.

As I previously mentioned ... conditioners like Stress Coat, Fish Protector, and NovAqua+ can also help with healing fins.

Best of luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom