Variegated water wisteria

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, I picked some of this up. Inspite of having luck with some plants considered 'difficult' I've never had luck with Hygrophila difformis. But, having seen s of this online I just needed to try some.
What's unusual, is that A. The newer leaves are staying thick instead of getting lacy (though I have heard that water wisteria can retain fatter leaves in lower temps), and B. They are turning almost entirely white.
Now, I have two understandings about this. One, is that an entirely white leaf cannot photosynthesize so they will have to pick up chlorophyll with age or somehow the little bit they do have will have to suffice. Two, is that variegation is from a virus in the plant. So is that virus just showing more in newer growth or is the virus actually getting stronger in the new growth? Or, did I get some bad research and variegated plants have no virus at all?
20191115_170750.jpg
20191115_170738.jpg

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! Not sure about the variegated part but wisteria’s leaves are broader like that when they don’t have enough light :) they only become needle-like with sufficient light

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sunflower said:
Hi! Not sure about the variegated part but wisteria’s leaves are broader like that when they don’t have enough light :) they only become needle-like with sufficient light
Well, that makes perfect sense and normally I'd agree with you, heck, I'd make that comment. Here's the thing though; it has been sitting under a 120w chihiros wrgb AND a 59w Fluval 2.0. Now, I know that watts and LED's are not a great measure but that many watts in LEDs is a lot and the Chihiros is known to be a high light all on it's own. The other thing is the white... in my anubias pinto, the white only shows up under the absolute highest light. I'd imagine that this is the same and if you look at the lower leaves they have much less light and much less white though their not technically my growth. I dunno what the deal is. Very strange morphology.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WetRootsNH said:
Well, that makes perfect sense and normally I'd agree with you, heck, I'd make that comment. Here's the thing though; it has been sitting under a 120w chihiros wrgb AND a 59w Fluval 2.0. Now, I know that watts and LED's are not a great measure but that many watts in LEDs is a lot and the Chihiros is known to be a high light all on it's own. The other thing is the white... in my anubias pinto, the white only shows up under the absolute highest light. I'd imagine that this is the same and if you look at the lower leaves they have much less light and much less white though their not technically my growth. I dunno what the deal is. Very strange morphology.
Very interesting. Yeah I have no clue lol. Best of luck!!

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, I thought I'd share because I've never seen this one mentioned before. I wonder if it will stay broadleaf.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom