Vanilla Lobster Tank Size

1. l

lionhimer New Member Member

Hello. I was wanting to get a vanilla lobster and was wondering what the minimum tank size is for one.
    Notes: He will be the only one in the tank except for plants and stuff

2. SpaghettiFork

SpaghettiFork New Member Member

20 gallons should be good for a single crayfish, do you know the species?

3. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

If that's the same as a white ghost lobster, they can get up to a foot in length and really need a 50 gallon tank.

if it's a variant of the EB crayfish, then Aquatic Arts lists their tank size as 30 gallons.

4. RyRyTheAquariumGuy

RyRyTheAquariumGuy Valued Member Member

I think what this post is actually referring to is the freshwater white crayfish. They are a sister species to the blue, orange, red, etc.. However the white ones for some reason tend to be wayyyy bigger than the other colors. Probably around 5-6 inches fully grown in some cases.

I would say at least a 20 gallon LONG tank because they need the floor surface. You could probably get away with a 20 gallon HIGH but nothing smaller as they will go nuts and rip up everything.

In fact, they may rip up next to all plants that they can so be prepared. My blue crayfish was like 4 inches and ripped up my subulata like it was his job.

5. RyRyTheAquariumGuy

RyRyTheAquariumGuy Valued Member Member

I forgot to mention that most pet stores call the white crayfish a "vanilla lobster".. I see it all the time. That's why my hunch is such.