Vampire Shrimp

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by skar, Mar 24, 2019.

1. skarWell Known MemberMember

2. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Never had them but looks like you have a pretty good size stock. i bet the 3 corys would enjoy 3 more of their kind to shoal with. but aside from that i'm not a stocking expert so i think you would be better off waiting for a pro to chime in, Very nice tank BTW!

3. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I'm not an expert on stocking either but I agree with what was said above. The corys would like bigger schools. I'd say it could possibly be done, especially since there's a whole lotta plants. I can't recommend vampires enough, they are pretty amazing. As long as parameters are good and everybody is healthy, it may not be a big deal.

4. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

If you go shrimp don’t add RCS they will be hunted and ate. Amano are good you could add more. Not sure on what water parameters are need for vampire shrimp. Bamboo are cool as well but both a filter feeders so they need a place to perch in the current and be feed with finely ground food in the water current.
    Nice looking tank btw.

5. skarWell Known MemberMember

@Feohw
    Your recent post got me interested in searching the vampire shrimp out.
    I guarantee that water parameters and health are top notch.

@kallililly1973
    Thank you.

I do know about the cories and preferred numbers.
    However it's kind of a story and I do not want higher numbers than I currently have.

@tjander
    Thank you
    As far as I can tell from research the water should be good for vampire shrimp.

My main concern was stressing the shrimp or fish by over stocking.
    I do have alot of cover and hides.

Just want to make sure I'm within the means of my tank to have a healthy environment for all the inhabitants.

Appreciate your help

6. blue velvet keeperWell Known MemberMember

don't they need a current area?

7. skarWell Known MemberMember

Wood shrimp do.
    I'm not sure about vampire shrimp.
    Wouldn't the output of the aqua clears support that ?

8. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

I'm glad my post helped you put. Since parameters are good I'd say it's fine. They are a great shrimp and they can get very big. They are a bit more shy than bamboo shrimp though, and they need a similar area of high flow. If you notice it wandering around scraping at the substrate with its fans it could be starving and you would have to target feed. Otherwise, as long as the tank is mature, they could feed on microorganisms and free floating algae. My tank doesn't have too much flow (its acceptable though) and mine is fine so far.