Vampire shrimp with spots

Lorna090201

My vampire shrimp had started to show some orange coloured spots on him
IMG_20191210_110053.jpg
IMG_20191210_110110.jpgand they seem to be spreading. Anyone know what this is? He is also being quite lazy. Usually he hides away in his cave but he is out but not really moving. I have had him for about 6 months but never seen him moult. I do have calcium blocks I put in the tank to help all the shrimp. Is this normal?
I should add that he has never really been blue. The tan colour is the colour he has been his whole live but you can see blue on his two big walkers a the front.

richiep

The only thing I can think of on this guy is hes going to moult, have you got strong current where he sits and feeds

Lorna090201

That's what I thought but I gave him a little poke and got no reaction so I fear the worst. He dosnt climb up anywhere to feed. He normally sits in his cave and fans. He is extremely clumsy and whenever he falls off something he becomes really dramatic and lies still for a moment or two before getting up again. Even if it's no more than a few inches of the bottom of the tank. But now he is just standing still

IMG_20191211_085858.jpgjust taken these as this other photos were of him last night he moved over here about 12 and he been there all night he kept laying on his side and getting back up again
Screenshot_20191211-090016.png

richiep

Ok then he may have a nutrient deficiency this is normally a slow move towards the end for him especially if hes now lying on his side.
I had one die last week I think of old age he was over 4 years old and just gave up,

Lorna090201

He is standing upright. Just not moving. I fed them last night but I haven't seen him fan in a while. I put a slice of boiled cucumber in about 2 days ago for my smaller shrimp but he took it into his cave. I didn't think they could eat vegetables. Would you suggest I do anything or just wait it out.

I have had issues with the larger species of shrimp in the past with them not being able to moult which is why I bought the calcium. My bamboo shrimp and smaller ones are absolutely fine now and can moult without any issues. I am quite surprised at how little information there is about the vampire shrimp.

richiep

Nothing you can do at this stage if he was going to moult he would be in his cave, there is so little information on them I've tried looking for years but always come up with the same stuff, water in the uk is pretty good for them but I use RO water reminerilisde so mine get as good as it gets

Lorna090201

Okay well thank you for your advice and information. I'll just have to wait it out and hope he pulls through. I have added some leaves and things with nutrients but I might go to my LFS so see if they can test it anything in my water.

richiep

This is my guy out for a ramble before he died last week

Attachments

• 20190323_124143.jpg
    20190323_124143.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20190322_230929.jpg
    20190322_230929.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 82

Lorna090201

Wow his legs are such a bright blue colour! How old was he and do you know what killed him?. Mine never used to leave his cave but he was outgrowing it so I had to buy him a new one and he stayed in it for the first few days and no never goes inside

richiep

Okay well thank you for your advice and information. I'll just have to wait it out and hope he pulls through. I have added some leaves and things with nutrients but I might go to my LFS so see if they can test it anything in my water.
It would be interesting to find out your gh/kh and other water perameters incase it's not been right from the start, this will at least give you something to go on , post them back if you get them

Lorna090201

I know my gh is incredibly high but was told this is due to where I live and not much I could do. It would be the same as in my lfs

richiep

Itz strang had stayed in his cave they should be constantly fanning in the current which dose point to water perameters

Your lfs may use 50/50ro mix, but saying that they don't keep things long and it there's s problem it gets passed on to the customer very quickly. Thix is all down to the quick turn around lfs has

I had mine over 4years ago and life expectancy is around 5years my others are doing fine and a lot younger

Lorna090201

I got this one from a pet shop quite far away and he was very large when we bought him. Is it possible that he is already quite old ?

richiep

Definitely a possibility as mine were half this size when I get them,
They are all brought in from the wild as they don't breed in captivity so you never know how old they are, you only get an idea of their age when they die, yours should have moulted in 6months if he was young or he wasn't having moult issues

Lorna090201

Just leaving mine now to go test the water. The shrimp is called sassy and is my partners and he treats it like it's his baby so I'll feel awful having to tell him it's passed

My water is fine. They use the same test kit as I do but said to bring the water back in a few days and they will do an advanced test. Also gave me a sample of food to try with it. Also got told it's a female.

Going to one that's a little but further to get a second opinion

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
Mika86
Replies
Views
Lorna090201