Vampire Shrimp with 2 Small, Friendly Egg-bellied Goldfish?

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey all!! So, short question this time...wondering what your thoughts are on housing a single Vampire Shrimp in with 2 small, very friendly Egg-bellied Goldfish? These two Goldie's are incredibly docile...don't worry! Bubbles is a quite stunning Chocolate Fantail-style Pompom. He's 5" and shouldn't grow much larger. Barley is a very gentle and silly Calico Bubble-Eye who should not exceed his 4". They live in a heavily-planted 50 gallon Breeder aquarium with smooth stones and a small layer of white sand, fully cycled (been for over 2 years) with many aquatic and semi-aquatic filter plants! They've got an internal Fluval filter for adding surface movement (meant for 60 gallons), a canister filter with UV for the back (meant for 80 gallons), a small HOB filter (aquaclear 20), AND a sponge filter (meant for 20 gallons). 60% water changes are done once weekly! I use the API Master Test Kit once weekly and Tetra 5-in-1 strips every other day to ensure the water quality stays exactly where they feel most comfortable! They are fed only the finest foods, including Repashy Soilent Green gel as their staple, frozen shelled peas every few days, fresh, blanched vegetables twice a week including zucchini, romaine lettuce, kale, and spinach, to name a few, as well as fresh, healthy treats every once in awhile. These often include fresh, blanched fruits like grapes, apples, bananas, and oranges, as well as the occasional fresh raw River Shrimp from Sprouts or Omega One frozen treats like Tubifex, Clams, and their all-time favorite, the freshwater veggie formula! Anywho, after you've presumably read how I spoil Bubbles and Barley, I'm wondering if a Vampire Shrimp could be a nice addition? I definitely do not want to overstock, especially since Barley and Bubbles look stunning as they are, but I always figured, why not add a pet that you've always wanted that could also be beneficial to the Goldies?? I was also considering large Corydoras just in case. I absolutely love Albinos, but those do typically require higher temps. Which species would be best, and how many (I'm thinking 6?) :D Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks y'all!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I know nothing about vampire shrimp so will leave that question for those that do.

As for the corys, I wouldn’t advise keeping corys with goldfish for a few reasons.
Goldfish are messy fish & as corys are bottom dwellers they’d be forever in contact with poop & detritus no matter how much you clean.
There is also the temperature issue although some corys such as C.paleatus would be quite happy in the lower temps but the main reason I wouldn’t recommended it is that I personally know several people whose goldies that have thought corys would make a good snack....it didn’t end well for any of the fish :(

OP
JustAFishServant

JustAFishServant

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Coradee said:
Hi, I know nothing about vampire shrimp so will leave that question for those that do.

As for the corys, I wouldn’t advise keeping corys with goldfish for a few reasons.
Goldfish are messy fish & as corys are bottom dwellers they’d be forever in contact with poop & detritus no matter how much you clean.
There is also the temperature issue although some corys such as C.paleatus would be quite happy in the lower temps but the main reason I wouldn’t recommended it is that I personally know several people whose goldies that have thought corys would make a good snack....it didn’t end well for any of the fish :(
Thanks! Yes, I know all of that. I've been in the hobby for over 10 years!

Anyway, I didn't really want Corydoras in with the Goldies anyway...I've actually had a few that acted, let's just say, not very inviting...Plus, the Goldies should be getting either a 50B or 75g, and they look large enough in that! I'd never keep an egg-bellied Goldfish in a 20 gallon...no matter what anyone says. My minimum for "Fancy" egg-bellied varieties is 4 gallons per inch, then half that for additionals (around 24-72 gallons for a pair). As for flat-sided Goldfish, such as Commons, Comets, Shubunkins, and Wakins, I always provide at least 5 gallons per inch, then half that once more (around 60-108 gallons for a pair). I've been keeping Goldfish for over 7 years. I almost NEVER add other tankmates unless they're large Snails (Japanese Trapdoor & Black Devil) or Fathead Minnows. Other than that, I always keep a large, very clean, planted aquarium for them! I used to rescue a lot of Goldfish, actually, and have been thinking about getting into that once again! Anyway, thanks for your help! It's very much appreciated! :)

New Threads