Question Vampire shrimp suggestions

Anthonyg

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Once I set up my new tank I am planning on getting a vampire shrimp and have some questions in mind. Do they prefer to be kept in groups with others and if so how many? Are they as sensitive as smaller shrimp with water parameters or are they more hardy? Also I have heard they are shy, so I am also open to getting a bamboo shrimp/ other large freshwater shrimp if they are more social or more hardy. My water parameters will still be good, but probably not well enough for a whole shrimp colony. I would have them in a 20 gallon tank with some some other bottom feeders and fish, or I would I have them in a 10 gallon tank with just them and my betta. Thanks for the help.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes I would keep more than one. Two or three.

As long as they are in a mature tank with good water parameters you shouldn't have too many difficulties with them. Mine is hardy, though of course they are sensitive to bad parameters. Just don't add them to a cycling, or newly cycled tank. They are filter feeders and get their food from micro particles in the water column. So make sure to add them last, after the tank is mature. And the tank needs to have good flow too.

They can be shy yes. Mine likes to hide out in his cave quite often, though I do see him out and about. Many find bamboo shrimp to be less shy. Just remember to add them once the tank is established, don't rush things and get them too soon.

New Threads