Vampire Shrimp Size!

AGentJ2468

I ordered two "small" vampire shrimp and these guys are MINI, their fans are like the size of a flake food particle!
Do you guys think I would have to feed them special baby shrimp food or do they feed on all the same stuff bigger vampire shrimp do?

And if anyone currently or formally owned one, have any tips or warnings?

Flounderman555

I own one they are filter feeders so they should be good as long as the water has a lot of nutrients

Mine is like four inches though

These shrimp get huge I’m talking like six inches

Feohw

Whether they are small or large, they need tiny foods. They are filter feeders and eat micro particles from the water. So you would need to crush up shrimp pellets, flakes and so on. Then you would need to spray the powder in front of them. Spirulina powder is a great food too.

When your tank is very mature you don't really need to feed them much. I rarely ever feed mine and he is 5-6 inches. There is plenty of micro particles for him to eat out of the water. If your tank isn't very well established then definitely do feed powdered foods as I mentioned above.

Flounderman555

I agree

AGentJ2468

Feohw I set up my 55 gallon about 2 months ago but used everything including the water and soil from my 40 gallon that was running for a year prior. So I would say its well established, also they won't eat their first few days of getting used to the tank right? At the moment I have one of them sitting under a log next to my filter fanning the water above him, he's about 1inch. Still can't find the other one, he's probably hiding out somewhere though

Amazoniantanklvr

Sprinkle has one too.

AGentJ2468

These shrimp get huge I’m talking like six inches
Is it just me or is it surprising that a 6 inch shrimp can start out at such a small size?! Like just wow, I get to see this little guy grow into a hunkering tank!

Feohw

Feohw I set up my 55 gallon about 2 months ago but used everything including the water and soil from my 40 gallon that was running for a year prior. So I would say its well established, also they won't eat their first few days of getting used to the tank right? At the moment I have one of them sitting under a log next to my filter fanning the water above him, he's about 1inch. Still can't find the other one, he's probably hiding out somewhere though
I would still make sure to feed them for the time being to be sure they grow well. They have a long way to go yet. They should eat just fine in the first few days, as seen by how its already fanning the water. But you don't need to give it powdered food immediately. I gave it powdered food when I first got it.

AGentJ2468

Feohw I would like to feed it as soon as I can but have to make a trip to the pet store for some food, what brand and type of food would you suggest?
I currently feed bloodworms once a week but I doubt they eat bloodworms?

Btw, what colors are yours? and is it true they change colors throughout the year?!

Flounderman555

I just crush algae pellets to dust and siphon it towards my shrimp I do this with my bamboo shrimp too

Mines reddish I have pics

AGentJ2468

I just crush algae pellets to dust and siphon it towards my shrimp I do this with my bamboo shrimp too
Oh cool, I've heard that the bamboo and vampire shrimp love to feed in groups together. What do you use to spot feed the bamboo shrimp?

Flounderman555

Near the plants they sit on

AGentJ2468

Floundering_Around Please do post pics!

Flounderman555

Tried to get a good pic but he’s a little shy

CF8FE6A6-71E3-49BA-BA3E-DB9FB76DB587.jpeg

AGentJ2468

Floundering_Around OMG they are so sneaky, I got a blue and the other one looks like this orange/red color. I guess the red ones really like to hide lol

Feohw

Feohw I would like to feed it as soon as I can but have to make a trip to the pet store for some food, what brand and type of food would you suggest?
I currently feed bloodworms once a week but I doubt they eat bloodworms?

Btw, what colors are yours? and is it true they change colors throughout the year?!
Any shrimp pellet should do. Spirulina powder is great too. Mine has never eaten bloodworms, they are too big. I do have a type of food called Novotab. Similar to O-nip tabs. As my fish eat it small particles come off into the water column. My vampire likes to stand in front if it gathering the particles.

They do change colours. Mine goes from a dark bluey colour to white as well as brown. The dark blue is the primary colour. Usually he is white for a few weeks after a molt, then brown and then back to dark blue. But there are times he changes colour without a molt. Age and environment can change their colours.

Flounderman555

Yeah he’s a sneaky one he lives in a nano tank currently with snails and a stone catfish who’s less than an inch Long

AGentJ2468

Flounderman555 Feohw What do use to spot feed them? just sprinkle it over the general area they are in or something like a turkey baster or watever its called?

Flounderman555

Yeah just kinda get in their general area above them away from strong currents and they’ll start feeding at least that’s what mine does

Feohw

Flounderman555 Feohw What do use to spot feed them? just sprinkle it over the general area they are in or something like a turkey baster or watever its called?
Turkey baster or a small pipette. I crush the pellets to powder, and it to some tank water in a little cup and stir. Then gather it in the pipette and squirt it in front of him. Mine was nervous at first, but eventually he began to come over to the pipette to fan right in front of my hand as I sprayed it.

AGentJ2468

Feohw That is so cool, I like the idea of them coming out and coming right up to you!
Flounderman555 That's pretty cool, can't wait for their first feeding!
Thanks a lot for all the help guys

Sprinkle

Attachments

• 509D1765-30E9-448D-A2D5-B6A2D17623BC.jpeg
    509D1765-30E9-448D-A2D5-B6A2D17623BC.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 9D2BF60D-AB13-4220-8CD9-ECD59D126334.jpeg
    9D2BF60D-AB13-4220-8CD9-ECD59D126334.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 64

Flounderman555

He’s very bright

Sprinkle

He’s very bright
It's a she. She's not that bright anymore. She is kinda blue or purple ish now.

Flounderman555

I wish mine was blue but I still love him how did you identify it’s gender I have no idea how to sex this type of shrimp

Feohw

I wish mine was blue but I still love him how did you identify it’s gender I have no idea how to sex this type of shrimp
The main way is that females have skinny forelimbs. Males have very large forelimbs. The males will get larger too.

Flounderman555

thanks it’s probably gonna be a while until I can sex mine since he’s currently regrowing his left forearm

Feohw

thanks it’s probably gonna be a while until I can sex mine since he’s currently regrowing his left forearm
If yours is 4 inches, then it is a female. It has a small forelimb in that pic you sent. This is how big a male can get, and how big their forelimbs are.

20200309_204207.jpg
20200309_204117.jpg

Flounderman555

Mines a female then

Sprinkle

If yours is 4 inches, then it is a female. It has a small forelimb in that pic you sent. This is how big a male can get, and how big their forelimbs are.
How fast do they grow? I can't wait until mine becomes that huggee...

Feohw

How fast do they grow? I can't wait until mine becomes that huggee...
They don't all get this big. It seems the average size for them in aquariums is 3-4.5 inches or thereabouts. Males get bigger than females too. They grow pretty slow, the amount of food they have plays a factor. I've had this guy for many months and he's only molted twice I believe. Maybe three.

How big is yours now?

Sprinkle

I keep mine me with an Amano shrimp
I kept mine with cherries and amanos. No sucking blood from live shrimp.

Sprinkle

They don't all get this big. It seems the average size for them in aquariums is 3-4.5 inches or thereabouts. Males get bigger than females too. They grow pretty slow, the amount of food they have plays a factor. I've had this guy for many months and he's only molted twice I believe. Maybe three.

How big is yours now?
Mines about 2inches maybe 2inches and a half. She molted only once in my tank. I thought she was dead but luckily not.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Shrimp and Goldfish
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views