Vampire Shrimp Shy

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
How do I get my vampire shrimp to come out in the light? I know they are nocturnal but I never see him
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,396
Reaction score
4,471
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
If he's happy feeding where he is he'll stay there but if food gets scarce he'll rummage on the bottom, they like strong current its where they pick up practicals so he may even climb in the tank to get a better spot, I know of one that's made his home in the filter and never comes out
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
If he's happy feeding where he is he'll stay there but if food gets scarce he'll rummage on the bottom, they like strong current its where they pick up practicals so he may even climb in the tank to get a better spot, I know of one that's made his home in the filter and never comes out
So the reason he never comes out is because he is happy? I guess I am going to pickup a power head so I actually see this guy(would that work?)
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,396
Reaction score
4,471
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
if he can get to the current but it may be ok where he is otherwise hed be forraging what I've also found they do better in pairs they seem to come out more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
if he can get to the current but it may be ok where he is otherwise hed be forraging what I've also found they do better in pairs they seem to come out more.
Ok, I guess I’ll get him a friend
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
if he can get to the current but it may be ok where he is otherwise hed be forraging what I've also found they do better in pairs they seem to come out more.
It was actually a picture you posted of a vampire with smaller shrimp on his back that mad me think,”don’t I have one of those? Yes I do! How did he get his out in the open?!” So I made this thread lol
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,396
Reaction score
4,471
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
They are a shy creature by nature but given time they slways make an appearance sometimes I think theyve died becsuse ivd not seen them thdn suddenly they appear
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
They are a shy creature by nature but given time they slways make an appearance sometimes I think theyve died becsuse ivd not seen them thdn suddenly they appear
I just saw mine this morning before the lights came on after over a month of not seeing him, then he went back into hiding as soon as the lights came on
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,396
Reaction score
4,471
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
He must be coming out at night then if you get him a buddy I think you'll see more of them. What a good reason to buy another, just in case you don't know when you look at them in the lfs make sure all four front legs are attached with their feeding fans on
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
He must be coming out at night then if you get him a buddy I think you'll see more of them. What a good reason to buy another, just in case you don't know when you look at them in the lfs make sure all four front legs are attached with their feeding fans on
The good thing about my lfs is they have the vampire shrimps listed as bamboos, so I can get them for under $4 lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
Our vampire are known as African armoured shrimp and around $20 to25
I am so happy my lfs doesn’t know what they are talking about
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
Looks like I wasn’t giving him enough flow, I added a new power head and there he is(I know it’s a horrible picture but you can kind of see him)
2FD1E1C6-7339-4092-A4CB-D0D097AE544E.jpeg
E4DAEE45-A55F-49C5-9C78-0C870CEF91D8.jpeg
 

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,396
Reaction score
4,471
Location
Bedford UK but Welsh
Experience
More than 10 years
They do prefer a nice flow mine sometimes go into the very strong flow you can also aid their feeding by putting in baby shrimp food powder or even very finely ground flakes into the flow
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
They do prefer a nice flow mine sometimes go into the very strong flow you can also aid their feeding by putting in baby shrimp food powder or even very finely ground flakes into the flow
Yeah, I know, I was already running power head, I guess he didn’t like it’s positioning but he likes this one lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
I got him a bud ,finally
E638245C-C2B2-4242-941F-416B35AE6E4D.jpeg
9D941D00-506A-4A10-83F6-5D8354336029.jpeg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
AJE

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,925
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Guatemala
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
At $4 get a few I'd stock a tank at those prices
Never mind they cost $5 they had 2 in the store, I was going to buy both but I need to save money for some puffers
 

Fisker

Active Member
Member
Messages
251
Reaction score
276
Location
Kentucky
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mine is a flower shrimp, but he's pretty active all day and night. He spends most of his time either hanging upside down on the wood in front of the filter output, or foraging through the plants and sand for food. Half of my substrate is his poop at this point - it's kinda ridiculous, but the plants seem happier since he's been in there. He's not as active as my ghost shrimp or my cherries, but he's usually up to mischief somewhere in the tank.

Flower Shrimp.jpg
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
225
Guests online
5,495
Total visitors
5,720

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom