Vampire Shrimp Shy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by AJE, Feb 14, 2019.

1. AJEFishlore VIPMember

How do I get my vampire shrimp to come out in the light? I know they are nocturnal but I never see him

2. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

If he's happy feeding where he is he'll stay there but if food gets scarce he'll rummage on the bottom, they like strong current its where they pick up practicals so he may even climb in the tank to get a better spot, I know of one that's made his home in the filter and never comes out

3. AJEFishlore VIPMember

So the reason he never comes out is because he is happy? I guess I am going to pickup a power head so I actually see this guy(would that work?)

4. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

if he can get to the current but it may be ok where he is otherwise hed be forraging what I've also found they do better in pairs they seem to come out more.

5. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ok, I guess I’ll get him a friend

6. AJEFishlore VIPMember

It was actually a picture you posted of a vampire with smaller shrimp on his back that mad me think,”don’t I have one of those? Yes I do! How did he get his out in the open?!” So I made this thread lol

7. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Heres one of mine with a few hitchhickers and a few others in other tanks

Attached Files:

8. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

They are a shy creature by nature but given time they slways make an appearance sometimes i think theyve died becsuse ivd not seen them thdn suddenly they appear

9. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I just saw mine this morning before the lights came on after over a month of not seeing him, then he went back into hiding as soon as the lights came on

10. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

He must be coming out at night then if you get him a buddy I think you'll see more of them. What a good reason to buy another, just in case you don't know when you look at them in the lfs make sure all four front legs are attached with their feeding fans on

11. AJEFishlore VIPMember

The good thing about my lfs is they have the vampire shrimps listed as bamboos, so I can get them for under $4 lol

12. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Our vampire are known as African armoured shrimp and around $20 to25

13. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I am so happy my lfs doesn’t know what they are talking about

14. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

At $4 get a few I'd stock a tank at those prices

15. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Looks like I wasn’t giving him enough flow, I added a new power head and there he is(I know it’s a horrible picture but you can kind of see him) 2FD1E1C6-7339-4092-A4CB-D0D097AE544E.jpegE4DAEE45-A55F-49C5-9C78-0C870CEF91D8.jpeg

16. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

They do prefer a nice flow mine sometimes go into the very strong flow you can also aid their feeding by putting in baby shrimp food powder or even very finely ground flakes into the flow

17. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, I know, I was already running power head, I guess he didn’t like it’s positioning but he likes this one lol

18. AJEFishlore VIPMember

I got him a bud :D ,finally E638245C-C2B2-4242-941F-416B35AE6E4D.jpeg9D941D00-506A-4A10-83F6-5D8354336029.jpeg

19. AJEFishlore VIPMember

Never mind they cost $5 :( they had 2 in the store, I was going to buy both but I need to save money for some puffers

20. FiskerValued MemberMember

Mine is a flower shrimp, but he's pretty active all day and night. He spends most of his time either hanging upside down on the wood in front of the filter output, or foraging through the plants and sand for food. Half of my substrate is his poop at this point - it's kinda ridiculous, but the plants seem happier since he's been in there. He's not as active as my ghost shrimp or my cherries, but he's usually up to mischief somewhere in the tank.

Flower Shrimp.jpg