Vampire Shrimp Hiding All the Time and Not Growing

Dinoter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought a 2 inch vampire shrimp from an online order about six months ago along with some other fish. I introduced it into a 65 gallon tank because I read that they like larger tanks, but it immediately hid in the plants (no surprise there) and after that day I only saw it inside a large piece of driftwood (I'll attach a picture of the piece). It hasn't grown at all since I bought it and I never see it out of the driftwood. I know it is alive because when I shine a flashlight down the log it shimmies away from the light. Is there anything that I am doing wrong that would cause it to act this way? I know the tank is busy but at this point I am just trying to figure out how it gets food.
The stocking for my tanks is:
2 Pearl Gouramis
8 Sparkling Rasboras
13 Glowlight Tetras (plus the last neon tetra from a previous school)
4 Rose Line Sharks
2 Pictus Catfish (I realize they are a problem but they are small right now and I am struggling to find a home for them because of the COVID-19 quarantine)
2 Cory Catfish
1 tiny Bristlenose Pleco
1 Clown Pleco that hides all the time
1 Gold Inca Snail
about 10ish Assassin Snails

Attachments

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see mine for months on end as long as he's picking up on the current for food that's where he'll stay

OP
D

Dinoter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Alright thanks guys! I'll buy a kh/gh tester and see if that is the problem.

richie.p said:
I don't see mine for months on end as long as he's picking up on the current for food that's where he'll stay
Mine never comes out though, one day I actually checked every half hour (including night) to see if he moved

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dinoter said:
Mine never comes out though, one day I actually checked every half hour (including night) to see if he moved
Hiding is absolutely a normal behavior. The more you get the more chill they get ( brave )

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
As others have said, hiding is very normal for these guys. Though it should have grown if it's been there for 6 months. They are also notoriously slow growers. Which isn't all that bad, as they live for such a long time for a shrimp.

One thing that the growth rate depends on is the amount of food that the shrimp is getting. With a lower flow rate, they will filter less food from the water column. It can help to spot feed them if you don't already. Crushed up and powdered shrimp pellets as well as spirulina powder make great foods. Just don't feed too much if you do feed these.

Have you seen any molts?

OP
D

Dinoter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feohw said:
As others have said, hiding is very normal for these guys. Though it should have grown if it's been there for 6 months. They are also notoriously slow growers. Which isn't all that bad, as they live for such a long time for a shrimp.

One thing that the growth rate depends on is the amount of food that the shrimp is getting. With a lower flow rate, they will filter less food from the water column. It can help to spot feed them if you don't already. Crushed up and powdered shrimp pellets as well as spirulina powder make great foods. Just don't feed too much if you do feed these.

Have you seen any molts?
No I haven't which also worries me. I haven't seen him in the log for a few days now either, so I am slightly worried it's now dead. I will keep you posted if I see it. I have been spot feeding the log, but it doesn't look like it is any more active or bigger than it was

New Threads