Vampire Shrimp Help!

Bloblob

I have two vampire shrimp. One is doing really well (they both were) but today I noticed my other one looking incredibly pale, and missing an entire arm, along with a couple of fans. It's sitting lopsided and feeding awkwardly, still active and moving around, just looks very sorry for itself.

I think it had a problem moulting. It didn't hide to moult which is already weird and I saw it seconds after moulting which is also very weird. I don't know if it lost legs during the moult process because of stress or what.

My dilemma: obviously I'm heartbroken about the poor thing. I want to move him from the large 160l tank into the teeny dwarf shrimp tank (25l) to monitor him, spot feed and put him in a less stressful environment as there are only shrimp in there (and I have dosed and fixed the issues surrounding my shrimp death!). Not permanent but until he goes through a moult that would allow him to regrow his legs/fans - would this be a good move or a terrible one? Any advice appreciated.

richiep

That sounds be good to restrict his movements and spot feed
You need to look closely at your water perameters in the big tank if its a moult issue
Do you have fish in the big tank

Upvote 0

Bloblob

That sounds be good to restrict his movements and spot feed
You need to look closely at your water perameters in the big tank if its a moult issue
Do you have fish in the big tank

Okay, I'll definitely move him then. Water parameters are really good, the other shrimp moulted fantastically! We do however keep fish in the tank, though they've never showed an ounce of aggression towards either shrimp. I keep Panchax, Gourami (dwarf blue, Pearl and flame), one Bristle-Nose Pleco and two kuhli loaches if that changes anything.

Upvote 0

richiep

Gourami & Panchax will have a go Panchax are known to be predatory, they may be maturing to this point and will recognise a vulnerable soft shelled shrimp, I wouldn't be surprised if the have a go at the other one when she moults if she can't find safety

Upvote 0

Bloblob

Gourami & Panchax will have a go Panchax are known to be predatory, they may be maturing to this point and will recognise a vulnerable soft shelled shrimp, I wouldn't be surprised if the have a go at the other one when she moults if she can't find safety

oh no Ok, I'll definitely be ramping up the hiding spots for the poor things, I'm in the middle of transitioning my boy to the shrimp tank for a much needed rest and recovery. Should have known, while I was getting him out my Panchax outright bit my arm! Little bugger.

Upvote 0

richiep

They can be nasty you may want to think about tzhing the other out as well
Mine live with shrimp ok in a 50ltr

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lorna090201
Replies
Views
Sprinkle