Vampire Crabs And Red Carnival Crabs

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by TheDarkAbyss, Mar 23, 2019.

1. TheDarkAbyssValued MemberMember

Greetings, Fishlore!

I just wanted to share that I managed to snag 9 new invertebrates today, being 5 Vampire Crabs (Geosesarma Dennerle) and 4 Red Carnival Crabs (Geosesarma Tiomanicum)
    [​IMG]
    I say 4 Red Carnivals because the guy at the store said that there was one casualty in transit, which is unfortunate. But at least the rest are fine, and I didn't get to pay for the casualty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both of them will be going into my planted vivarium that originally housed my Red Apple Crabs (Metasesarma Aubryi), as the tank was originally for these crabs. They will be housed temporarily in a 10 gallon terrarium for now.
    [​IMG]
    This is also to check if these two species can cohabit together. So far, they have, with the expected minor territorial spar. None have lost any legs other than one vampire, but that was during transit. I'll keep updates every week or so to see how well they get along.

2. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Wow, what gorgeous creatures!!

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

I have read that mixing different species usually ends out with one not surviving well, while the other does fine. Hopefully it works out for you!

(I also thought they do best with a large water source. Not trying to bash the setup, but every setup I've seen usually has a large body of water in it....)

4. TheDarkAbyssValued MemberMember

I have seen those posts before as well, but then again they're like 8-10 years old and things could have changed with more people getting them and experimenting. It is now day 3 and I have seen both a red carnival and a vampire pass by each other without any conflict.

And as for the water source, I was thinking of making a bigger pool, but this setup has worked extremely well with the former residents, the Red Apple Crabs (Metasesarma Aubryi), which live in the exact same rivers and streams as the vampire crab. All sources for them (even though they are very scarce and are from german boards) say that they molt in water, but I have observed them molting on dry land, so as long as it is humid enough. Once I find a bigger tub, I'll definitely upgrade the pool!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TheDarkAbyssValued MemberMember

I forgot to update here, oops!
    I decided after nearly a week that I wanted to separate the vampires from the red carnivals simply because that even if they are doing fine together, the vampires will definitely eat red carnival babies.