Vampire Crab

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good afternoon fellow Fishlorians

Today I have inherited an aged vampire crab from my cousin. He was not well cared for and I figured I'd take him under my wing and treat him well for the remainder of his life.

I would like your advice on what I can do to make this little guy happy -

With him came a terrarium, a heated incandescent, and various accessories.

I have never kept a vampire crab but I am familiar with freshwater inverts.

My cousin kept him in exclusively coconut-fiber substrate, with a small water platter. My plan is to shape the Substrate into a hill, with a water basin at the bottom instead to give him water to swim in and more humidity.

I also plan on feeding Bottom Feeder bug bites since I already have those on hand, as well as crickets weekly.

What else can I do??

Thanks!

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Im pretty sure vampire crabs like groups and they are partially brackish. They don’t eat crickets I don’t think. I recommend some crab sticks, blood worms and occasional veggies

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Im pretty sure vampire crabs like groups and they are partially brackish. They don’t eat crickets I don’t think. I recommend some crab sticks, blood worms and occasional veggies
I will not be adding more to his tank, he has been in solitude all his life and has apparently killed any another crabs he has ever encountered.

They are a semi-aquatic crab and live in fully fresh water. You must be thinking of fiddler crabs.

There is an abundance of information on the net saying they enjoy live crickets

Harvster10

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I may be wrong about the crickets but there are no fully freshwater crab except from Thai micro crabs

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I may be wrong about the crickets but there are no fully freshwater crab except from Thai micro crabs
These aren't fully freshwater, they're semi-aquatic. But every reliable source I could find said freshwater for the aquatic portion. Do you have a source for your brackish water claim?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They freshwater, slightly more terrestrial than aquatic. Most tend to keep them in tanks thats around 75% or more land.

I'd reccomend switching over the heating light to a UTH, bulbs have the tendency to dry out the tank quite a bit. Other than that, it does sound like you have most of the basics covered.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom