Val's Salty Thread

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, as I haven't had much time for my freshwater tanks, I'm tearing down my 29g freshwater tank and selling everything. Mainly because I'm moving and don't really have a place for it. But I'm thinking I will keep the tank and stand and save if for my future salty tank.

That being said, the future for me holds a saltwater tank. I do love my freshwater tank, but it's time for a change. Over the next few months, I plan on starting to slowly, very slowly, purchase things for a saltwater tank. Most likely for a 29 gallon.

So on my list of things to get I know I need:
RODI unit - brands?
Heater - Cobalt Neotherm still the way to go?
Auto top off? Worth it?
Filters - Aquaclear? Size?
Salt
Lights - no clue, someone just needs to tell me what to buy. I want all the corals
Wave maker/whatever they're called - brands?
Rock & sand - suggestions?

I don't know. Anything else? Advice? I really don't want to get things that I will later have to upgrade so throw me all your suggestions. I'm going to be doing this slowly so that I can make sure I have the right stuff.

@stella1979 @Lchi87 @coralbandit I know you all off the top of my head. Tag whoever you feel may want to help me out lol

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Jesterrace is going to be a good source of info for you IMO.
I would look into cheap Chinese black box for light as one unit will run your 29 100% no matter what you want and to grow to a larger tank you just get more [I run 2 on my 120] ...
Filter , I never feel right with anyone getting a filter that most think are ok for fresh in salt ? Part of why I am sump and say go sump to all with interest .
Besides all the gains of space for equipment ,volume and keeping gadgetry out of tank they are just water flowing the natural way to me . AC may be fine go 110 if that is where it ends , NO CANISTERS ..Look into Eshopps eclipse for overflow ..They supply template ,drill bit and what is needed to hook up a sump to your tank .I bought the medium when I thought about doing my 29. I had a 29g slow reef for over 3 years and really enjoyed the tank .
You will need a refractometer not a hydrometer . For coral you need KH and calcium test.
I am big on BRS ro systems . You want a good RO/DI for coral set ups ..The DI and all that goes into filtering water is as important as any other part of the show IMO .You want to start with 0 TDS water ,the salt will add everything before you buff. I use reef crystals salt ..I don't have anything crazy or do very much with my tank at all.
Whether you buy BRS or not you should watch as many videos on topics you want to research by BRS as possible .They are incredibly helpful ..
That and if you get serious into reef adding Randy Holmes Farley to the end of any search ...

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ooh exciting! I love this type of news

-RODI unit: I use the 4 stage one from Aquatic Life. The replacement cartridges have lasted me about a year or so, so its not as spendy as I thought it would be to have one.

-Heater: I love my Cobalt Neotherm!

-ATOs : yes! I’m actually upset with myself that I didn’t start that sooner. And ditto for autodosing when you get corals. Stability is king, keep everything steady and the corals will be happy.

-Filters: AC110 like CB mentioned would work but would also sump it if you were up for the challenge because of the volume you’d gain and also being able to hide equipment and keep the display tank nice and clean

-Salt is preference really as long as its made for a reef imo. People claim success across all brands and every tank is unique so if you’re looking for a straight forward answer, I don’t think there is one? Lol. Thank being said, there are BRS videos that analyze the cost effectiveness of different brands if you’re looking for perspective in that area
I used to use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and the corals were great, just wasn’t the cleanest or fastest mixing but that doesn’t bother some people. I recently went to Neomarine from Brightwell and it does the job great also, although I don’t mind either that it mixes so quickly and cleanly

Lights can be as basic or as elaborate as you want. Chinese black boxes will work and are budget friendly but as with anything with different price ranges, quality can vary. I have Aquaillumination Prime HDs on my tank and I love the ease of use. I’m not very techy so apps and lighting software intimidate me lol but these lights made it super easy!

Powerheads: I like Jebaos personally. Budget friendly and are adjustable and not too intrusive looking in the tank. There are sleeker and more powerful models with more bells and whistles but those also come at a higher price.

Rock: with rock, you can go live or dry. Live comes with the added benefit of a quicker cycle but also can harbor unwanted pests.

Sand: caribsea makes a variety and I also like to consider potential stock when making a decision. Some sand dwellers like jawfish like some coarser material mixed in for burrow construction for example.

Hopefully that helps but also give the stickies in the beginners forum a read if you haven’t already; much of what I learned can be found there.

OP
ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@Jesterrace is going to be a good source of info for you IMO.
I would look into cheap Chinese black box for light as one unit will run your 29 100% no matter what you want and to grow to a larger tank you just get more [I run 2 on my 120] ...
Filter , I never feel right with anyone getting a filter that most think are ok for fresh in salt ? Part of why I am sump and say go sump to all with interest .
Besides all the gains of space for equipment ,volume and keeping gadgetry out of tank they are just water flowing the natural way to me . AC may be fine go 110 if that is where it ends , NO CANISTERS ..Look into Eshopps eclipse for overflow ..They supply template ,drill bit and what is needed to hook up a sump to your tank .I bought the medium when I thought about doing my 29. I had a 29g slow reef for over 3 years and really enjoyed the tank .
You will need a refractometer not a hydrometer . For coral you need KH and calcium test.
I am big on BRS ro systems . You want a good RO/DI for coral set ups ..The DI and all that goes into filtering water is as important as any other part of the show IMO .You want to start with 0 TDS water ,the salt will add everything before you buff. I use reef crystals salt ..I don't have anything crazy or do very much with my tank at all.
Whether you buy BRS or not you should watch as many videos on topics you want to research by BRS as possible .They are incredibly helpful ..
That and if you get serious into reef adding Randy Holmes Farley to the end of any search ...
I'm so glad you mentioned a sump because that's totally something that slipped my mind. So does that put limitations on the type of tank? Like right now I just have the normal 29g I bought and it's been used for fresh water. If I cleaned it, would I be able to drill it? Or would pre-drilled be the way to go?

Ooh exciting! I love this type of news

-RODI unit: I use the 4 stage one from Aquatic Life. The replacement cartridges have lasted me about a year or so, so its not as spendy as I thought it would be to have one.

-Heater: I love my Cobalt Neotherm!

-ATOs : yes! I’m actually upset with myself that I didn’t start that sooner. And ditto for autodosing when you get corals. Stability is king, keep everything steady and the corals will be happy.

-Filters: AC110 like CB mentioned would work but would also sump it if you were up for the challenge because of the volume you’d gain and also being able to hide equipment and keep the display tank nice and clean

-Salt is preference really as long as its made for a reef imo. People claim success across all brands and every tank is unique so if you’re looking for a straight forward answer, I don’t think there is one? Lol. Thank being said, there are BRS videos that analyze the cost effectiveness of different brands if you’re looking for perspective in that area
I used to use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals and the corals were great, just wasn’t the cleanest or fastest mixing but that doesn’t bother some people. I recently went to Neomarine from Brightwell and it does the job great also, although I don’t mind either that it mixes so quickly and cleanly

Lights can be as basic or as elaborate as you want. Chinese black boxes will work and are budget friendly but as with anything with different price ranges, quality can vary. I have Aquaillumination Prime HDs on my tank and I love the ease of use. I’m not very techy so apps and lighting software intimidate me lol but these lights made it super easy!

Powerheads: I like Jebaos personally. Budget friendly and are adjustable and not too intrusive looking in the tank. There are sleeker and more powerful models with more bells and whistles but those also come at a higher price.

Rock: with rock, you can go live or dry. Live comes with the added benefit of a quicker cycle but also can harbor unwanted pests.

Sand: caribsea makes a variety and I also like to consider potential stock when making a decision. Some sand dwellers like jawfish like some coarser material mixed in for burrow construction for example.

Hopefully that helps but also give the stickies in the beginners forum a read if you haven’t already; much of what I learned can be found there.
I am so not techy either. So easy lights would definitely be the way to go for me lol

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even if you don't want to drill you can get an HOB overflow .Just one without tubes and has a Toms aqualifter hooked up to it or an airline to a power head to restartoverflow incase it breaks syphon somehow..
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEzeylk1RdPocAKjZpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByNXM5bzY5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1565852709/RO=10/RU=https://www.amazon.com/CPR-CS90-Overflow-Box/dp/B0002JEGSG/RK=0/RS=DWK1HowSwR7GYdoBYfMzL5FYWIw-
I would recommend the 90 so you could have up to 20X turnover per hour if you chose ..Water flow is determined by the pump speed ,which should not exceed the overflow ..
Here is the CPR page on all units .
https://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrEzeylk1RdPocAIjZpCWVH;_ylu=X3oDMTByOHZyb21tBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1565852709/RO=10/RU=http://www.cpraquaticinc.com/cs-overflows/RK=0/RS=TyJ7wCIQ6gDfdasVFp8CZSHBKNY-

Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom