Occupation
Fish Department worker at LCF
Quarantine?
NO
List any water conditioners and test kits used:
Seachem Prime conditioner.
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Aquarium Size
55 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
Jack Dempsey, Salvini, Green Terror, Green Phantom Pleco
Aquarium Start Date
February 2019
Ammonia
0 ppm
Nitrite
0 ppm
Nitrate
10 ppm
Temperature
78F
pH
Lighting
Fulval Sky
Aquarium #2 Size
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Planted Tank
Tank #2 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
Red Cherry Shrimp, Neon Tetras, Jave Fern, Anubia nana, Cryptocoryne wendtii, moss ball
Tank #2 Start Date
March 4, 2021
Tank #2 pH
Tank #2 Filter Type
Aqueon 10 quietflow
Hey all, Just wondering if Vallisneria will send off runners if it is free-floating. I got most of mine to attach but for some reason, this one small plant keeps floating to the top. I think my fish are uprooting it. But, if it will propagate free-floating then I will leave it floating.

Solution
Mine will send out runners even if not rooted in the substrate as long as the mother plant is securely rooted in the substrate. For mine, the original plant must be rooted in the substrate, then if its runners are floating, they will propagate just fine and eventually get large and heavy enough to weigh itself down to touch the substrate. But if the entire main original plant is floating, it doesn't do very well for me.

gray_matter16

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
gray_matter16
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Mine will send out runners even if not rooted in the substrate as long as the mother plant is securely rooted in the substrate. For mine, the original plant must be rooted in the substrate, then if its runners are floating, they will propagate just fine and eventually get large and heavy enough to weigh itself down to touch the substrate. But if the entire main original plant is floating, it doesn't do very well for me.

Solution

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom