Vallisneria and John Doe plant advice

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently purchased a Vallisneria spiralis on the advice of my (usually sound) lfs. It has not done at all well. In fact my plants are generally struggling particularly my John Doe whose name I cannot remember. Water parameter have been fairly sound and stable, tank is a 90l with 2 wc minnows. The only major problem I've had recently is a shocking brown algae problem which I finally seem to be beating. LFS recommended turning off my bubbler and although we aren't entirely free I'm definitely going in the right direction. Tank light is on about 6 hours daily and the Val. has its roots in the gravel as advised. I did purchase some seacham flourish but I've only used a couple of doses because I'm not entirely confident with it. I'm not sure when/how often I should dose the tank. I've enclosed pix of both plants and I'd be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know what the John Doe is either but I do know Vals. Give it some time. Sometimes they melt a little when being moved. Once they kick in they go crazy! I use Thrive C all in one fert. Its easy and has more of the nutrients your plants need than flourish. I also use periodic root tabs. I think I have the flourish brand right now.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for your advice. Melt is exactly the right word for it. It's reassuring it isn ab unknown phenomenon

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
May I ask what light you're using?

Vals are bad about melting back and don't ship well, but once established grow like a weed. Lighting aside, I think your biggest issue here is underdosing. Flourish on it's own is just a trace element formula and is meant to be dosed in tandem with Seachem Potassium, Phosphate, Iron, etc. They have a dosing chart on their site. The easier and less costly option is to go with a high quality all-in-one fertilizer that contains the macro nutrients (Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphate) that plants need. As previously mentioned, Nilocg Thrive C is great, but I don't believe it is available in the UK. I would opt for Tropica Specialized Fertilizer, as it contains a more comprehensive blend than Tropica Premium (which contains no Nitrogen or Phosphate).

Also, trim off any dead or damaged leaves and discard them. Not only are they no longer benefiting the plant, which is wasting energy trying to maintain the decaying growth, but the rotting plant matter promotes algae and high nitrates. Once removed, the plant can instead focus on maintaining healthy growth and will begin growing new leaves.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fahn said:
May I ask what light you're using?

Vals are bad about melting back and don't ship well, but once established grow like a weed. Lighting aside, I think your biggest issue here is underdosing. Flourish on it's own is just a trace element formula and is meant to be dosed in tandem with Seachem Potassium, Phosphate, Iron, etc. They have a dosing chart on their site. The easier and less costly option is to go with a high quality all-in-one fertilizer that contains the macro nutrients (Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphate) that plants need. As previously mentioned, Nilocg Thrive C is great, but I don't believe it is available in the UK. I would opt for Tropica Specialized Fertilizer, as it contains a more comprehensive blend than Tropica Premium (which contains no Nitrogen or Phosphate).

Also, trim off any dead or damaged leaves and discard them. Not only are they no longer benefiting the plant, which is wasting energy trying to maintain the decaying growth, but the rotting plant matter promotes algae and high nitrates. Once removed, the plant can instead focus on maintaining healthy growth and will begin growing new leaves.
I'll look out that fertiliser. Thanks

New Threads