Vallis Gigantea - is this normal?

1. Jamie Gale Initiate Member

Hello all,

I've had my Vallis Gigantea for about a month or so now. I have 11 in total which are planted in sand substrate (zero powders/fertile substrate types used). Nutrient pellets were added to the substrate before planting. I use Seachem Flourish (of which I did over dose for a while due to stupidity in not reading the destructions properly).

My tanks parameters are 0/0/20ppm at 25-26C (average). Lighting is 2x T8 tubes (standard issue with the Fluval Roma 125).

Now to the question part:

Some of the leaves have gone a pale brown and become translucent, although still growing (in fact, they are growing faster than the still green ones). Is this normal? What could be going on?

The tank mates are Guppies, but they only hide in them, have not seen any nipping etc.

They are situated right near to the filter outlet - something that I did not know they apparently don't like much, this was not advised at my LFS when purchasing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

James

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Translucent is bad news, doesn't sound good. Healthy growth will be green. Vals are pretty sensitive and I have noticed that I often have a couple leaves go clear and fall off when I first transplant them.

4. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Are you sure it is gigantea ? 11 in a roma 125 ?

5. Jamie Gale Initiate Member

20160611_025913_resized.jpg 20160611_030000_resized.jpg 20160611_030015_resized.jpg

Here is what I mean. As you can see they are some green leaves, and some have gone brown (those bright brown ones are the translucent ones, if I hold a finger behind I can see the outline of my finger.

Well, they were sold to me as Gigantea, so that's what I am basing it on, lol. And yes, 11 plants in that section at the back.

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Gigantea gets up to 2 meters. Noticing lot of the leaves are cut. Most Vallis-species can't handle that and leaves will die off.

7. Jamie Gale Initiate Member

Hmm, then I guess I've kind of been mis-sold this plant then as one of my LFS stated it was suitable for me and could be trimmed to keep it the length I want in my tank.

It wouldn't surprise me then, if the dying plants are effecting my tanks water in some way. I've had a third guppy die now in 4 weeks (only had them in there for 4 weeks too - new tank).

I suppose I'll start looking for a good replacement in the corner there then...any suggestions on plants to give a similar forest type effect for my guppies (and eventually Gourami).

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I've jungle Vallis in my tanks Jamie (removed 2 pounds today hahaha) which looks great hanging over te surface.
    [​IMG] mmmm doesn't really show (making new pics later).

9. Jamie Gale Initiate Member

I quite like the look of the Bacopa Caroliniana and the Cabomba Caroliniana. I feel my T8's aren't quite enough light tbh... looking at adding some LED strips or something to increase the light intensity too.

How do you typically trim them down then without harming them? Do you agree that my gigantea should be removed due to them being unsuitable for my tank? (tbh, I wasn't sure on their look for the overall tank anyways).

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

If it's gigantea (still in doubt cause those are gigantic) I'd get them out indeed.

I've two 30 watt T8 tubes above this jungle

[​IMG]

11. Jamie Gale Initiate Member

They don't look too dissimilar to google pictures of gigantea... I have cut mine as they were blocking a lot of light on that side of the tank. The green leaves don't seem to be growing since I cut them, but the brown ones are still growing... confusingly.

My T8's are whatever came with the tank (Fluval Roma 125), according to the LFS the T8's classify as low light, unsure how true that is.

Edit: Looking at specs on some sale sites, the standard T8's that come with the tank are 15W each (2 total)