Valentini Toby/saddle Puffer: Toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelfish101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello. I have been keeping freshwater fish for a while and I know I posted threads about upgrading my freshwater tank, but I decided not becausei love saltwater fish and a perfect deal on a tank I got. It's 75 gallons, and I was planning on what to put in this tank. I was searching and found a Valentini Toby Puffer. I love Puffer fish as it is, and I was very into getting it. But, as you may know, Puffer fish CAN be toxic. I have read several different sites that they aren't, but I read 2 stories about this fish. Both of these stories said that the Valentini is like a box fish and how they have an internal toxic venom they release when stressed and when they die. Can someone confirm if this is true? Thanks.

OP
Angelfish101

Angelfish101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What about a dog face puffer not sure their tank minimum tank size. And yes that is true and may kill other fish.
Not sure when they die part but when they get stressed out the will release toxins and will harm or kill your fish
Ok, thank you very much. I will research that dogface Puffer, and if I get it, I shouldn't put any small fish like Clownfish, dwarf angels and wrasses with it, right?

Tragic13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The toxin found in pufferfish is called Tetraodontin, which gets its name from the puffer, even though this toxic substance is found in many different species around the world BUT it does not release this into the water column unless it is dead and even then it has to reach a certain level of decay to start releasing its toxin. Some people even pet their puffers, seeing as these species do not have spikes. Only thing I would be cautious about is moving him, use something other than a net, maybe a plastic container would be better. Goodluck !

Tragic13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, thank you very much. I will research that dogface Puffer, and if I get it, I shouldn't put any small fish like Clownfish, dwarf angels and wrasses with it, right?

You can have just about anything with Puffers, some being with caution. The only ones that are 100% not compatible are other puffers, pseudochromis, seahorse, pipefish, sharks, rays, or triggerfish

Kenny777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can have just about anything with Puffers, some being with caution. The only ones that are 100% not compatible are other puffers, pseudochromis, seahorse, pipefish, sharks, rays, or triggerfish
And eels or any long fin fish. And definitely small fish and crustaceans! They will become snacks!

OP
Angelfish101

Angelfish101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The toxin found in pufferfish is called Tetraodontin, which gets its name from the puffer, even though this toxic substance is found in many different species around the world BUT it does not release this into the water column unless it is dead and even then it has to reach a certain level of decay to start releasing its toxin. Some people even pet their puffers, seeing as these species do not have spikes. Only thing I would be cautious about is moving him, use something other than a net, maybe a plastic container would be better. Goodluck !
Thank you but do all pufferfish contain that toxin? If so, I probably won't get one because I don't want to take that huge of a risk.

Nothing with long fins and nothing that will pick at the puffer. Crustaceans will become a snack to the puffer.
Small fish will also become a snack so look for fish larger than 2inches.
Okay. I figured if I got a puffer, I would get tangs and a swallowtail angel (I know that both of these types of fish can get large, but I have planned my tank around that having enough dry rock to have grazing options, caves and caverns and enough swimming space).

Tragic13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just about yes, that's why they are so dangerous to eat. They have to be cooked right or you'll be 6 foot under the dirt . With that being said, they are only dangerous if the toxin gets into your blood, they are safe to handle and have inside a tank .

OP
Angelfish101

Angelfish101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just about yes, that's why they are so dangerous to eat. They have to be cooked right or you'll be 6 foot under the dirt . With that being said, they are only dangerous if the toxin gets into your blood, they are safe to handle and have inside a tank .
Okay. I think I won't get them then, just to be on the safe side. Thank you guys for all of the info. I am glad that I asked before I went out and bought the fish. Thanks again!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom