Valentini Puffer

DavidFishMan
Member
I just bought a valentinI puffer but am worried about him possibly poisoning the tank an killing off all my expensive fish. I have 125 gallon tank an the puffer is a little over and inch long. Should I be concerned? Can he only poison the tank if he is left dead for some time or can he emit poison if very stressed?
 
nikm128
Member
They can only release it through their spines, poisoning the tank at death is actually not something that happens. It would have to decompose or be eaten enough for the toxins to be released
 
  • Thread Starter
DavidFishMan
Member
Thanks. Good news. There is so many different options about puffer poisoning which makes it hard to find the truth.
 
nikm128
Member
Only story I've heard of a puffer poisoning the entire volume of water was a guy that put a couple fish and a valentinI in a 5 gallon bucket, valentinI freaked out and killed the other fish and itself. So just don't move them in a bucket
 
  • Thread Starter
DavidFishMan
Member
So I sounds like they can release toxins when under high stress not just when they die and decompose.
 
nikm128
Member
Exactly, and the only reason it died in the bucket would be because a spine stuck one or both the other fish and let some into the water column
 
  • Thread Starter
DavidFishMan
Member
Sorry can you clairify how there spine could stick another fish?
 
nikm128
Member
When they puff up, the small spines that usually lay flat against their body, will stick out away from their body. The ends deliver the toxins into whatever they end up poking. The more stressed the fish is, the more toxins can be released at once so it delivered so much some got into the water column
 
Jesterrace
Member
There are some freak type occurances in smaller setups, but in a 125 I don't see it. The ValentinI is arguably the safest bet of the Puffer fishes in many respects.
 
  • Thread Starter
DavidFishMan
Member
Ok. Thanks for the advice.
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom