Valentini Puffer Puffed Air

Fisker
So, I recently bought a couple of 29 gallon tanks (buy one get one free, couldn't resist!), and decided that I wanted a saltwater puffer in one of them. I've only ever kept freshwater and brackish puffers, and have wanted a valentinI for a while now. So, naturally, I ordered one in to a LFS and picked him up today.

I asked to see him eat, and he ate a bunch of mysis. I told the employee I'd take him, and went off to talk to the owner about some unrelated stuff. I looked over and saw the puffer out of water, inflated with air. I could have screamed, but when the puffer hit the water in the bag, he expelled quite a few bubbles. Did he get it all out? I had read that puffers can't expel air, and have found that to be true in the case of brackish puffers as well - I've had to massage the air out of a figure 8 before, and got a few nasty bites doing it.

He doesn't seem to be floating around in his holding tank, and he doesn't seemed stressed beyond what you'd expect for a fish in a new tank. No problem turning, and no abnormal behavior that I can see. He does seem to be spending a lot of time in the top half of the tank, but I'm not sure if that's related or just kinda stress behavior. He seems to have the ability to go where he wants without any trouble.

I could just be overreacting. Just kinda gun shy, as I've had several puffers just up and die on me. I'm going to start this guy on PrazI and possibly metro tomorrow, and he's wild caught and I have almost no doubt he has parasites.

Coradee
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Fisker
Thanks! I think he's out of the woods, though.

He's been eating, hunting, interacting with me, and being generally pretty normal (as normal as puffers get, anyway). I think the force of being plopped down into the bag might have forced the air out of him.

Puffer 9-2.jpg

Jesterrace
Sometimes it's just an acclimation thing. Valentinis are pretty hardy as far as Saltwater Puffers go so he may just have needed to get used to the new tank. Keep an eye on him but hopefully he will do well. I have considered doing the same thing (just getting a 29-30 gallon tank and putting a ValentinI in it). Should be a fun fish for you given the personality that puffers have. My LFS actually has a couple of GSPs right now that were acclimated to full salt by one of their patron's. They seem to do really well in it and he has had them for some time. He took them to the LFS because his tank sprang a leak so they are holding them for him. Beautiful colors on the GSPs.

Fisker
Jesterrace said:
Sometimes it's just an acclimation thing. Valentinis are pretty hardy as far as Saltwater Puffers go so he may just have needed to get used to the new tank. Keep an eye on him but hopefully he will do well. I have considered doing the same thing (just getting a 29-30 gallon tank and putting a ValentinI in it). Should be a fun fish for you given the personality that puffers have. My LFS actually has a couple of GSPs right now that were acclimated to full salt by one of their patron's. They seem to do really well in it and he has had them for some time. He took them to the LFS because his tank sprang a leak so they are holding them for him. Beautiful colors on the GSPs.
Yeah, I'm thinking he was just adjusting. I just expected him to hide, not hover out near the top of the tank, and I thought maybe he was having trouble swimming due to trapped air. All better now though!

He's been fun so far! I think he's got some more personality to show for sure, but he's definitely an inquisitive little guy and has some pretty amazing colors. Especially when he fans his tail out and really stretches - he looks pretty amazing. He has been biting at the glass, which I've read is something puffers tend to do - similar to how they chew on live rock at time. I never experienced this with my GSP, but I guess it might be a saltwater puffer thing. I'm hoping once some algae grows on the glass he might stop doing it so much.

I loved my GSP! He was probably the best fish I've ever owned. Definitely a water puppy. The only downside is that when he got fully-grown, he decided to chew on EVERYTHING. Power cords, filter intakes, live rock, heater rubber, my arm... It got bad enough that I put all of the equipment I could into a HOB fuge and hoped for the best.

Found out why the puffer is biting the glass so much... there are tiny, tiny little pods on the glass from the algae. I think he's seeing those and hunting them... but just smashing his beak into the glass instead.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom