Valentini Puffer 20 Or 30 Gallon Minimum Tank Size

abarb
I've seen the minimum tank size for valentinI puffers as 20 gallons and 30 gallons. Which is it?

nikm128
20 is the minimum, but 30 and up is best, because obviously bigger=better

abarb
Can I keep one by itself in a 29 gallon? Would I need to qt if it was the only inhabitant?

nikm128
I'd say so. qt is not needed if it'll be alone

abarb
Would I need still 30 pounds of live rock because there is only one fish?

nikm128
Technically you need at least 29 for one pound per gallon, but I think you might be able to go a little short with just one fish

Jesterrace
I would say if you are dead set that this is going to be your only fish you could probably do 20lbs and be fine. ValentinI Puffers can produce a bit more waste than a comparable sized fish (partially because of their diet and the things they need to do to wear down their beaks) so you don't want to go too light on the rock. I would definitely say closer to 30 gallons is where you want to be for the minimum on this fish. I would say a 30 inch minimum length is what you want for them to have room, especially if they do end up swelling up.

abarb
It will be the only fish. I will probably order 40 pounds of live rock for this tank and the other 20 long I will be setting up. Will it definitely eat inverts?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom