Vacuuming the substrate?

emilijad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the gravel vacuum. I often postpone vacuuming the substrate when I do weekly water changes or cleaning the tank because I feel like it takes out too much water too soon and I don’t really do much of getting the dirt out. I know it’s bad to skip this every time because of that so I need some advice on how to do this properly without it emptying my 15l tank in like a minute.

Tristen

Reaction score
emilijad said:
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the gravel vacuum. I often postpone vacuuming the substrate when I do weekly water changes or cleaning the tank because I feel like it takes out too much water too soon and I don’t really do much of getting the dirt out. I know it’s bad to skip this every time because of that so I need some advice on how to do this properly without it emptying my 15l tank in like a minute.
I’m a little confused with what problem you are having. You are skipping vacuuming the substrate because the water empties too fast? If that’s the case then you can get a smaller siphon so less water comes out. I had the same problem with the first siphon I bought, but I switched to a different siphon form a different company and it went a lot slower. The other option is bending the tube or squeezing it while you siphon to slow the water that comes out.

OP
emilijad

emilijad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tristen said:
I’m a little confused with what problem you are having. You are skipping vacuuming the substrate because the water empties too fast? If that’s the case then you can get a smaller siphon so less water comes out. I had the same problem with the first siphon I bought, but I switched to a different siphon form a different company and it went a lot slower. The other option is bending the tube or squeezing it while you siphon to slow the water that comes out.
Yep, that’s exactly the problem. I will try bending the tube next time before I go out and buy a different siphon, thank you for the advice!

Tristen

Reaction score
emilijad said:
Yep, that’s exactly the problem. I will try bending the tube next time before I go out and buy a different siphon, thank you for the advice!
No problem. You might have to play around with the siphon for a bit to figure it out. I would recommend you fill a bucket with some water and just empty the water from the bucket into your sink to try and see if you can slow the water. Maybe try some zip ties too.

OP
emilijad

emilijad

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tristen said:
No problem. You might have to play around with the siphon for a bit to figure it out. I would recommend you fill a bucket with some water and just empty the water from the bucket into your sink to try and see if you can slow the water. Maybe try some zip ties too.
That’s a great idea, I’ll try that before actually doing it in my tank, I’m scared of messing it up and don’t want to stress my betta in any way.

Presidenchill

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you pinch the hose as you clean it'll definitely help. They also have really small and cheap siphons for smaller tanks with pump action but manual might be better.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
You may want to look into getting a battery powered vacuum too. No water loss while vacuuming, then use the siphon to drain the amount of water you want.

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also you can just vaccuum half of tank one week and the other half next week! :)

ArcaneKand

Reaction score
you can look up the "fluval pro vac" which doesn't drain the water it uses a cartridge to catch the detritus and recycles the water back into the tank. it is also mains powered so no need to buy batteries.

Gr198868

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Syphons work with gravity and pressure, if you bring the bucket you're emptying the water into higher up the water levels will be closer and the syphon will basically work less efficiently

owenhlewis

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ArcaneKand said:
you can look up the "fluval pro vac" which doesn't drain the water it uses a cartridge to catch the detritus and recycles the water back into the tank. it is also mains powered so no need to buy batteries.
Are these any good?

I've been researching battery/mains gravel vacuum as I want to do substrate cleaning without removing water.

Pridedcloth3

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
owenhlewis said:
Are these any good?

I've been researching battery/mains gravel vacuum as I want to do substrate cleaning without removing water.
I've got one and it works great. I used a few of them but this is is hands down the best. If you do get one don't lose the water change adapter, they don't sell them as stand alone. And it doesn't come with hose but the id is 1/2 inch.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you use a piece of airline tubing attached to a skewer it will all ow u to clean the substrate and will vacuum out water very slowly. I do that on my two five gallon tanks

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get smaller vacuums or you can do as others have mentioned, kink the hose, or move the bucket up to slow the flow down. I tend do to the kink the hose method just because its easier than trying to find something to sit the bucket on. I use a pretty small gravel vac tho, I actually use a small one even for my big tanks.

New Threads