Vacuuming around/under larger driftwood?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Everythingzen, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Do you remove or move driftwood to vacuum under? I've got 3 huge pieces that barely fit through the lid, so removing them each wc causes it to become a saga that takes half a day. Plus, the disruption to the tank is frustrating. I'm trying to establish plants on and around these pieces. The problem is that I've built this up for all the bottom dwellers, and it's a maze of wood that the kuhlis, cories, yoyos and pleco all love. I want to ensure it's clean but without compromising on their playground.
    What do you folks do with your driftwood?

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

every 2 or 3 months i do an overhaul and give my fish a "new" tank. i take everything out, syphon all the gravel and take most of the water out. I then redecorate. with my cichlids thats good though so they reestablish territory. my featherfin LOVES his peice of driftwood. when i move it he goes with it lol. it doesn't matter where I put Deathlords wood, he follows it lol. I have to do two water changes a week because I'm so overstocked. my bioload keeps up though. i never have ammonia or nitrites, just nitrates lol. so I vacuum what i can and take care of the rest in the overhaul

3. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

i have a huge piece of driftwood across the back of my 75 gallon tank and I must confess I never move it. I go all around it and try to stir up the area, but that's it. And my water looks good and so are my readings.

4. Jennifer26

Jennifer26Valued MemberMember

Yeah me too I do weekly water changes but every couple of months I move everything out so I can get all the waste out

5. josh40996

josh40996Valued MemberMember

I leave everything in place and hover the siphon just over the substrate. I find the waste helps with fertilizing the plants.

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

It's rare that I vacuum my 33g long heavily planted tank. I leave the detritus for plant fertilizer. Doing water changes frequently and being heavily planted, helps to keep my nitrates where they need to be, for this tank my nitrates are 10.

I have plants attached to my driftwood with roots going into the substrate. I would not move mine if I decided to vacuum.

Too, vacuuming may also remove any root tabs that have dissolved yet remaining in the substrate.

Ken

7. beginner

beginnerValued MemberMember

try a turkey baster or a small piece of hose for getting around and under hard to reach places.

8. Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

I leave my driftwood in place just vacuming around the base. On occasion I will slightly move the wood just so I can be sure and get all the waste out that is housed around it. I find that there is a lot too.

9. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; Like aquarist48 I have heavily planted tanks. I vacuum the few open areaa of substrate and leave the plants alone. I also have the MTS (snails) in the tanks that do a beneficial chore of working thru the substrate consuming the bits of uneaten food and other organic stuff like shed plant parts.

10. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I have a lot of crevicey decor and a fair amount of wood where detritus gets trapped.

What I do is, just prior to doing a pwc, attach a length of hose to my canisters outlet and use the hose to flush all the detritus from the crevices and such into the open. I then proceed as usual with the wc siphoning up all the stuff I flushed from the hard to reach places. I found a turkey baster to be nowhere near as effective at this as the canisters pump pushing the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice