75 Gallon Tank Vacuum Gravel Or No?

BillMonk

Reaction score
This is a follow up on a previous post on cycling the tank. The tank is fully cycled now and is the happy home for tetras, rams and a couple of gouramis. The question is since the tank has just finished cycling, I need to do a big water change to bring the nitrates down, should I vacuum the gravel when I do the change or just siphon out water since it's pretty new? I understand that the majority of the bacteria are in the filters but some will be in the gravel and I don't want to start a miinI cycle. What say you?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just skI'm the surface of the gravel bed. Actually a lot of benificial bacteria will eventually reside there.

OP
B

BillMonk

Reaction score
A201 said:
Just skI'm the surface of the gravel bed. Actually a lot of benificial bacteria will eventually reside there.
That's what I was thinking but wanted another opinion. Thanks

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You will get bacteria on the gravel but you won't vacuum it out. Its stuck on pretty good and short of scrubbing the gravel it will remain after vacuuming it.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
You will get bacteria on the gravel but you won't vacuum it out. Its stuck on pretty good and short of scrubbing the gravel it will remain after vacuuming it.
Again... totally agree.

New Threads