Vacuum Cleaner As Canister Filter??? Question

1. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

So i have a waterproof vacuum cleaner with the o-ring thing. i was wondering it was a wet/dry vacuum i could use the sucking in piece as the intake, the blowing piece as the output and there is a filter inside the vacuum(its like a sponge from a sponge filter). And well under the filter is a storage that could be used as a biological filtration site. What you think

2. TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

Well....I guess it could work. Super ghetto though, and I don't think I'd trust it long term. Also were you planning to use its motor to pump the water, or a DIY up something with a pond pump, or powerhead?

3. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Like a shop vac or a actual vacume for the tank? Just trying to visualize.

4. max h Well Known Member Member

if it's a wet/dry shop vac it will end up being noisy and I don't think that the motor head is built for that type use. water is much denser then air.

5. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

actual vaccuum

i didn't think of that
    or that.

i wouldn't ever use this for a filter though....just an idea

6. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

IT WOULD BE VERY LOUD IN MY OPINION AND YOU WOULD BE SHOUTING A LOT CAUSE IT'S SO LOUD...ALSO I THINK THE ENGINE IN THE WET-DRY-VAC WOULD DIE OFF DUE TO OVERHEATING...BUT THAT IS MY OPINION....CAN YOU HEAR ME?!

:)

7. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

WHAT??

:p

8. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

SPEAK LOUDER

9. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

:D
    Aw man we do that at work all the time... earplugs and a loud environment as well as a healthy dose of smartaleks mean everyone yells at each other cause nobody can hear each other.

But jokes aside, that is one thing to be worried about. I have heard of DIY filters dying because they overheated after being constantly running.

10. shiv234 Well Known Member Member

ok