Vacuum Cleaner As Canister Filter???

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by shiv234, Jul 15, 2017.

1. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

So i have a waterproof vacuum cleaner with the o-ring thing. i was wondering it was a wet/dry vacuum i could use the sucking in piece as the intake, the blowing piece as the output and there is a filter inside the vacuum(its like a sponge from a sponge filter). And well under the filter is a storage that could be used as a biological filtration site. What you think

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Well....I guess it could work. Super ghetto though, and I don't think I'd trust it long term. Also were you planning to use its motor to pump the water, or a DIY up something with a pond pump, or powerhead?

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Like a shop vac or a actual vacume for the tank? Just trying to visualize.

4. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

if it's a wet/dry shop vac it will end up being noisy and I don't think that the motor head is built for that type use. water is much denser then air.

5. OP
    OP
    shiv234

actual vaccuum

i didn't think of that
    or that.

i wouldn't ever use this for a filter though....just an idea

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017
  6. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

IT WOULD BE VERY LOUD IN MY OPINION AND YOU WOULD BE SHOUTING A LOT CAUSE IT'S SO LOUD...ALSO I THINK THE ENGINE IN THE WET-DRY-VAC WOULD DIE OFF DUE TO OVERHEATING...BUT THAT IS MY OPINION....CAN YOU HEAR ME?!

:)

7. 2211Nighthawk

WHAT??

:p

8. OP
    OP
    shiv234

SPEAK LOUDER

9. 2211Nighthawk

:D
    Aw man we do that at work all the time... earplugs and a loud environment as well as a healthy dose of smartaleks mean everyone yells at each other cause nobody can hear each other.

But jokes aside, that is one thing to be worried about. I have heard of DIY filters dying because they overheated after being constantly running.

10. OP
    OP
    shiv234

ok

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice