Vacuming with sand

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to vacuum out my tank but am not sure of the best way to do it since I have sand and not gravel.  I know that I just run the the vac over the sand and not into the sand but will this get all of the waste that is down in the sand?  Some one told me to run my hand around in the sand and stir it up and the sand will settle because it is heavier and the waste will float and to then vacuum the tank.  Does that make sense?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I vacuum my sand tanks I just kind of wave the vac above the sand and it picks up all the waste. Usually the waste will just settle on top of the sand and not down in it. One of the reasons you aereate your sand is to prevent anerobic pockets of gas from forming but a few snails will relieve you of that job
what kind of fish do you have in your sand tank?
Carol

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
my 37 gal. fresh water and my 6 gal salt water are both sand tanks.  I just think that sand looks nicer than gravel.
I don't know much about snails, what are the benefits of having them in the tank? The Negatives?

Blisster

Reaction score
I wonder about this too. I have a white sand bottom in my tank, and it seems *very* difficult to cleatn. If I try to vacuum it the vacuum jsut sucks up alot of the sand .
would *love* any suggestions from other sandy tank owners here.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pro: Malaysian Trumpet snails keep the sand stirred to prevent anearobic gas pockets, they eat left over food, they mostly come out at night after lights out.
Con: If you over feed you will have a snail explosion.
Carol

Nimbus_uk

Reaction score
Butterfly said:
Pro: Malaysian Trumpet snails keep the sand stirred to prevent anearobic gas pockets, they eat left over food, they mostly come out at night after lights out.
Con: If you over feed you will have a snail explosion.
Carol
Hi,

I've just got my first tank and it came with sand, but no snails..... I'm currently going thro the cycle before adding some fish, but do I really need snails for the sand ? And what are anerobic gas pockets ?

I'm hoping my cycle wont take long, as there should have been some bacteria in the tank filters and the sand ? The water and fish were only transfered the day before I picked it up..

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NImbus_uk when you have areas in your tank that doesn't have water movement or aereation(such as in sand) anearobic areas develop. In anearobic pockets gas builds up and when this happens it can be fatal for your fish and it smells like rotten eggs.
You can manually stir the sand, gently mix with your hand or stick a straw down in it every few inches. But the easier way is to use snails. The best snail for sand is Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Hope that helps.
Carol

Phonemonkey

Reaction score
Or just keep fish that love to play in sand, like I'm getting ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes Dojo loaches would be great since they bury themselves in the sand
Carol

wittle dude

Reaction score
do you have to vacuum my tank???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All tanks need to be vacuumed occasionally. Depends on what fish you have and the size of the tank to determine how often.
Carol

Phonemonkey

Reaction score
wittle dude said:
do you have to vacuum my tank???
No, I do not have to vacuum your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom