Vacations + planted tanks

LanceDog

Should I do anything special for my planted tanks if I go on vacation for a week in the future? I have a 10 gal with frogbit and hornwort, and a 20 gal w/ anubias, hornwort, duckweed, frogbit, java moss and java fern. The tanks get Thrive and liquid CO2 twice a week. I'm guessing I should dose as usual them right before I leave. I do have timers for the lights. I feed my fish and shrimp before I leave, and they don't get anything while I am gone. Does this sound reasonable, or how can I assure my plants won't go downhill while I am away?

UnknownUser

Should I do anything special for my planted tanks if I go on vacation for a week in the future? I have a 10 gal with frogbit and hornwort, and a 20 gal w/ anubias, hornwort, duckweed, frogbit, java moss and java fern. The tanks get Thrive and liquid CO2 twice a week. I'm guessing I should dose as usual them right before I leave. I do have timers for the lights. I feed my fish and shrimp before I leave, and they don't get anything while I am gone. Does this sound reasonable, or how can I assure my plants won't go downhill while I am away?

I'm going to be leaving my 10 gal planted tank for almost 2 weeks and this is my plan, except my mom will be giving food every couple of days to the fish. Your plan sounds fine to me!

StarGirl

It is always possible your plants may suffer some because of the co2. But all of the rest should be fine. I have to roll those dice every time I go on vacation because I have no one to feed or anything for me....

EbiAqua

I invested in an auto-doser for extended vacations!

LanceDog

I invested in an auto-doser for extended vacations!

Can you link me to wherever you found such a thing?

Chanyi

Dim lights / only run them for a few hours a day "just in case" and set up the lighting cycle a few days before you leave so you ensure that you've done it correctly (I set my timer up before leaving for a week, and low and behold the timer was set to "on" for the entirety of my absence, amano shrimp enjoyed the extra forage).

Autodoser, again set it up prior to you leaving, place a glass lid on the tank to limit evaporation, feed heavy for a couple days before you leave, and perform a good water change just before you leave.

EbiAqua

Can you link me to wherever you found such a thing?

Or a similar product.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
LanceDog
Replies
Views
LanceDog