vacation

1. Janmitch22 Member Member

I'm leaving my bettas, clowns, and single pleco alone for a week. I've read that they'd be okay without food, but I wanted to get more opinions.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

They should be fine. Just feed them regular when you leave, and you will come home to a sparkly clean tank and very happy to see you fishies! ;) Don't try and dump extra food in there when you go so you don't pollute your tank! ;D

3. Shabnam Initiate Member

Hi there, am so glad this question came up- becuase I was leaving for a 4 day mini vacation as well- and I was getting so worried- and was training my brother in law, to feed the:
    Angels, Gourami, Danios, Balas and the algae eater- the blood worms
    and the betta- her own food
    and the shrimp their algae wafer
    and it felt like a losing battle - but now I will feed them before I go and feed them as soon as I come back. phew!

4. swimfan Member Member

I sure learned my lesson on this topic. Months ago when I had my original aquarium setup, we went away for a week and a half, so I bought one of those feeder block things. I came back to a cloudy tank, and the feeder block had a slime coating on it. The water looked murky & thick.... gross. I learned afterwards that those feeder blocks are held together with plaster of paris!!!!!???? ???

So the next time we went away, I got this automatic feeder, it worked great. I'm sure they'd have been ok without food as well.

5. fletch Member Member

Ive just come back from a 5 day holiday and as was said, the tank was gleaming and the fish were very happy to see me. Theyll be fine

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

They'll be ok without food for those 5 days.

7. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

If you ever go away for a very long time, like 1 1/2 or 2 weeks, put the food for each day (less than what you normally feed) in separate plastic bags and clearly label each bag. That way the feeder just dumps in the portion of food and you don't have to worry about overfeeding. Your fish will be fine for 5 days, and don't feed extra before you go because it will rot and spoil the water.