Vacation With Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Courtney Moreau, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Courtney Moreau

Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

So I am leaving in a few days and will be gone with my family for a week, I have a friend that will be coming over to feed the cats and she will feed the fish, I was thinking I'll ask her to only feed them every other day? So she doesn't over feed. It's a 10 gallon with 3 platys in it. I will do a water change right before leaving, on Sunday which is when I normally do them anyways.

Any other suggestions so I can prepare myself? Im nervous to leave them for the first time!

2. YesI'mCycledNew MemberMember

You could premeasure each serve. That way you’ll know exactly how much food the fish are getting and no concerns re: over feeding

3. Esimm03

Esimm03Well Known MemberMember

Hi, I'd do a large water change beforehand, I leave my 20G all the time when I go on holiday, I just came back today from one and nothings changed, I measure out ammounts of food beforehand so they don't overfeed, you can use freezer bags or something. Fish can last a while without food, just make sure everything is working before you leave and that your lights are either on timer or off, to prevent algae growth. Other than that I just leave my guys and they are fine . How old is your tank? And what are its peramiters? It should be fine unless you have high ammonia or something or your fish are ill.

I'd look online at YouTube too, in case there is anything I've missed.

Ethan

P.s this may help too...

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

I would do a feeding a bit larger before you leave, and a large 50%+ WC before you go.

Hide your fish food as your fish will be fine for a week without food.

5. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

If you feel comfortable with her feeding your fish, get one of these 7 day /weekly pill boxes and put the measured food for the dates you want her to feed.

Normally if I am out of town for a week at a time ( which is often ) I don't have my petsitter feed the fish, only the cats. If longer than that, I use the pill box.
    FYI - Fish can go for several days, if not weeks without any added food to the tank. They will graze on the bio film, algae, etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice