Vacation plans - juggling fish, tanks, and pictures?

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Shortly here at the beginning of March, I’ll be headed to Belize for a week over spring break as part of a class. There will be a few days where we’ll be snorkeling, and I plan on taking my underwater camera - so my first question is, if I get any good fish pictures, do you all have any interest in seeing them???
And then onto the more serious part - my fish at college. The majority of my tanks are all at home and set to be cared for by my mother, but I have like 2.3 tanks at college with me, and I need to figure out what to do with the fish (3 bettas, lots of snails) and the tanks (5.5g, 10g, and a 14g that’s not set up fully). The tanks are a hassle to break down, move, and re-set up, so I was thinking about finding some food grade plastic totes, filling them up at home, and having the fish in there for the week. Or I have some 1/2 gallon containers I usually use for transport, it’s small but I could cram in some plants, and that’s be the cheapest method, and it’s only for a week.... could have my mother do a complete water change halfway through the week. Would a heater melt the plastic of the totes? My room is pretty warm, and unheated water stays 70-72 degrees - they’d be okay at that temp for a week right? If the heater wouldn’t work?

The bigger issue is the tanks though. My school requires everything to be unplugged over longer breaks, so I can’t leave the filter running or the heater on (hence why I’d take the fish home, besides proper feeding), but would the water be okay sitting around stagnant for a week? Would weird things happen with the bacteria? Could the small army of ramshorn snails survive in there without filter/heater? What about my live plants, with no light (lights off/everything unplugged/shades down and closed)? Or should I just uproot them and chuck them in the totes/containers too?

FathomtheFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think the totes idea would be safer. But depending on the stock, planting, and how long the tank has been established the stagnant COULD work.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FathomtheFish said:
I think the totes idea would be safer. But depending on the stock, planting, and how long the tank has been established the stagnant COULD work.
One tank is a 5.5, one betta, one nerite (both of those would go home), and lots of baby ramshorns.
the other tank is a 10, one female betta, one male (tank is divided, it’s a temporary thing while I’m waiting on the 14), (they would go home), 1 adult ramshorn, and lots of baby ramshorns.
It’s hard to say how long they’ve been established, honestly, because they get moved around to college and back so much. They were originally set up in August, but the 5.5 got switched out in December, but they just got moved here in January. I’m pretty good at preserving the cycle though, and usually the moves get done without a hitch cycle-wise.
I’m just concerned sitting stagnant for a week we’ll get gross/swampy.

Also, like, no clue what to do with the live plants. Leave them in? Take them too? Etc

FathomtheFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Leave live plants in. I would go with the tote idea, as long as you attach the filters too.

New Threads