Vacation Plans For Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlutterFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, I'm definitely going to South Korea for 2 weeks in July (unless the NK/SK relationship goes down the hill again), and am wondering how I should instruct my pet sitter to do a water change. The sole inhabitant will be a betta fish, and I already finished instructions on how to feed him/her.

I've heard that some people are fine without doing a water change for 2 weeks in a 10 gallon with a Betta, but I'm not sure I trust that info.

So... help?

Nauthes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds simple to me.
Put out some sort of container, tell them to fill this container with tank water.
Then dump it out
Then fill this container with water from [insert water source]
leave the water condition next to the container and tell him in all caps to be sure to add the water conditioner and how much if you use tap water.
Then put water in tank.

I say water source, not sure if you do Tap, do you use betta bottle water?
Whatever your source is be sure to let them know.

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, I'm definitely going to South Korea for 2 weeks in July (unless the NK/SK relationship goes down the hill again), and am wondering how I should instruct my pet sitter to do a water change. The sole inhabitant will be a betta fish, and I already finished instructions on how to feed him/her.

I've heard that some people are fine without doing a water change for 2 weeks in a 10 gallon with a Betta, but I'm not sure I trust that info.

So... help?
If the tank is cycled, you can probably have the sitter feed less often and reduce the bio load enough that a water change won't be necessary until you return. So if you normally feed once a day, have them feed every third day. So long as they are careful not to leave in uneaten food, your betta should be fine for two weeks. Even under normal feeding conditions, betta fish have a pretty low bio load.

If you're not comfortable with that, I would buy some plastic water bottles to store treated water in, and a bucket and either a siphon or a clean cup for pulling the water out. Label what needs to be unplugged first near the end of the power cords, and put a piece of masking tape on a visible part of the glass and mark on it with a sharpy where to pull the water level down to. So long as everything is prepared and labeled and clear instructions are left, I doubt you sitter will have trouble with it.

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've gone as much as 3-4 weeks without doing a water change in my 10g with several fish, when trying to see how long I could let the tank be by itself. The fish were OK. That was pushing it, though, as I did a parameter test and the nitrates were really high, as to be expected. In the absence of a fish sitter, I think your tank would be OK. However, because you'll be having one, then the instructions like those that have been provided, should be good for the sitter to handle, too.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If its just a betta in a 10 gallon I wouldn't worry about it. He'll be fine for a few weeks. Just do a large water change before you leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom