Vacation no WC

eligri

Hey'a!
So I usually do a WC every 7-10 days of around 30-45%. The fish have lived happily, and even spawned, with this. It's a 125 gallon tank with:
1 oscar (almost fully grown)
7 gourami (marble, so about 4-5 inches)
6 pleco (mid sized 4-5 inches)
1 gibbiceps (mid sized 8 inches)
4 yoyo loaches (3-4 inches)
1 ropefish (8 inches)

Never had any bad algae blooms or ammonia spikes. Very good filtration (2x canister filters).

Now here's the thing, I'm going to travel soon for 15 days. My Oscar can't be starved, as he starts hurting the other fish when this happens.
How can I secure decent water params for 5 extra days? Will normal WC two days in a row before travelling do it?

Thanks

EdieBadedie

Is someone coming over to feed them then? You could get someone/ a pet sitter to do one. Honestly though, I have been bad and gone 2 or more weeks before and it is generally fine. I don't have the stock you do, though.

Upvote 0

eligri

Is someone coming over to feed them then? You could get someone/ a pet sitter to do one. Honestly though, I have been bad and gone 2 or more weeks before and it is generally fine. I don't have the stock you do, though.
Don't believe I'm so overstocked for a tank this size though?

Wouldn't trust anybody else to do a WC for me, way too risky that they mess upp somehow :S

Upvote 0

EdieBadedie

Don't believe I'm so overstocked for a tank this size though?

Wouldn't trust anybody else to do a WC for me, way too risky that they mess upp somehow :S
I didn't mean you are overstocked (I am unfamiliar with oscars so I couldn't tell you), I just meant my stock was a smaller tank with less fish in it. Gotcha, I understand that. I think that doing multiple water changes before you leave is the best way to go, then. There isn't much else I can think of, but I really do think it will be fine.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I would up it to 50-60% change before you go, should be fine. I know my tanks can easily go 2 weeks easy without a WC, as sometimes i get so busy i can't get a change in weekly.

Upvote 0

eligri

I didn't mean you are overstocked (I am unfamiliar with oscars so I couldn't tell you), I just meant my stock was a smaller tank with less fish in it. Gotcha, I understand that. I think that doing multiple water changes before you leave is the best way to go, then. There isn't much else I can think of, but I really do think it will be fine.
Oscars are pretty messy, but it's quite a large tank :)

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

I’d just do a decent water change the day you go (or the day before), make sure they arent overfed whilst you are away then catch up when you are back. They should be fine for a couple of weeks.

Upvote 0

eligri

I’d just do a decent water change the day you go (or the day before), make sure they arent overfed whilst you are away then catch up when you are back. They should be fine for a couple of weeks.
Can I stick to the usual feeding schedule?
Figure if it works for 10 days @35%, a 50% WC would hold them for 15 days with the same feeding.
Was planning on buying a pill box and put the food there for each day.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Can I stick to the usual feeding schedule?
Figure if it works for 10 days @35%, a 50% WC would hold them for 15 days with the same feeding.
Was planning on buying a pill box and put the food there for each day.
The pillbox is a good idea, as is weighing out your food before you go. You dont want a whole tub dumped in on day 1!

Without knowing your feeding schedule its hard to say. But personally when i go away i reduce feedings from twice a day to once, and start that maybe the week before i go away to get them used to it. I just make sure that the one feed a day is varied so they get all they need. No idea if it helps much but its certainly never harmed my fish.

Upvote 0

CTYankee79

I believe no water change for 2 weeks is no problem.

I may have missed it but you were also concerned about feeding—is someone feeding your fish while you are gone?

Upvote 0

eligri

I believe no water change for 2 weeks is no problem.

I may have missed it but you were also concerned about feeding—is someone feeding your fish while you are gone?
Yeah,mom will handle feeding. No worries there

Upvote 0

Yeoy

The pillbox is a GREAT idea. You could always slightly reduce the feeding amount e.g. 10-20% per day, your fish will be OK for 2 weeks while you're away. Or fast a day here or there, depending on your oscar's behaviour.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
eligri
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views