Vacation For 3.5 Weeks...

1. DanniD

DanniD Member Member

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the right section here but I couldn't think of a better place to put this thread.

I'm leaving for a few weeks in about a month and I am STRESSING over what to do about my tanks while I'm gone. I'm trying to find someone to vigilantly take care of them but I am the only fish nut I know of...

I was wondering what the experiences are of other hobbyists when they need to leave their tanks for an extended period of time. Especially those with more intricate setups (thinking high-tech and high-maintenance fish)

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

For that long, I try to get a fish-sitter for sure (and I run a dozen+ tanks ranging from low-high maintenance and fresh/salt). I’m only comfortable leaving them alone for 2 weeks; anything longer and I’d prefer someone to check up on them.

Where do you live? There might be an aquarium service nearby that will watch the tanks for you (for a fee of course)

3. alauruin

alauruin Member Member

Do you have a local aquarium community Facebook group, or anything? If so, definitely ask on there. You may get the name of pet/house-sitters who are experienced aquarists, or a local hobbyist who's willing to "fish-sit" for you while you're away.

(That's what we do with horses, which are also specialized high-care critters. :))

4. OP
    OP
    DanniD

DanniD Member Member

When you say leave them alone for 2 weeks you mean no water changes, no feedings?

I wouldn't mind paying a good service to come in and do water changes. I'll look some places up. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area

Great suggestion! I'll look now on Facebook. I've been meaning to find groups around where I live so I don't feel like a crazy person ;)

5. KinsKicks

For a 2-week time period, yes. I feed very well two days before I leave and do a large water change the day of or the day before and haven’t had anything go wrong yet. Then I’ll just do a large water change when I come back. It’s onyl when I have to leave much longer is when I’ll ask someone to come and feed (and I usually prepare “packets” of food with dates and amounts lol)

(Also, I’m not too far from San Fran (its a BART ride away) so if you really can’t find anybody (although I’m nearly sure you will find someone), I’m very much available to drop by :) ).

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

I went on a three week vacation and had my brother in law feed the fish only once a week. The reason being was that I didn’t want him to over feed and pollute the tank.

I suggest that you do large water change about 3-4 days prior to your departure. This way the few days will allow you to make adjustments to the tank is something goes wrong. If you change it the night before you leave you won’t be home to fix anything if some were to go wrong.

I would ask a family friend, co worker, neighbor or a family member to come in just once a week to feed. That’s it.

Just have like 3-4 small dishes of food ready. Hide the rest of the food to prevent over feeding.

When you come back the fish should be good. And you can do a water change when you get back.

I think this is the best thing to do. Why pay the money for some stranger to come in and feed and do water changes. You have no control on this.

7. OP
    OP
    DanniD

DanniD Member Member

You haven't had any issues with water quality when coming back? I'm worried that the fish will be super shocked after that water change when I come back. You didn't get any issues with the water when you came back? Thanks!

I could definitely get someone to feed the fishies and add ferts for my plants but I'm just really concerned about water changes. I feel like 3.5 weeks is a long time to go without a water change, especially since over the next month my fish will be getting used to 50% water changes every week. I SUPER appreciate your offer! I'm actually East Bay so also a BART ride away ;) What side are you on?

8. KinsKicks

I actually live in Stockton but I go to San Francisco quite often (almost weekly) for school related events and to visit family who live in pleasant creek :) So definitely wouldn’t mind stopping by if need be

9. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

Wow how kind of you to offer this. Thats why i love this forum, everyone is so so helpful and willing to get their hand dirty for others. I wont mention a name as im not sure he would want me to, but one guy here was helping me with an issue and i was low on funds, he offered and actually orderwd things i needed and had it shipped to me. I ended up solving issue befor it shipped so he was able to cancle it and get back his money, but he was very willing to buy me (keep in mind i dont know this man) what i needed to help me resolve my issue,
    As for the vaca, have a great time and I'm sure all will work out in the end. :)

10. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

You don't have to find another fish nut to take care of your fish, just another person who is able to do what you need. Of course, we've heard these stories before, so it will still be hard to find that person!

11. Fashooga

Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation and the app on the phone doesn't tell me when one responds.

I didn't have much problems with the water quality at all, because I only allowed him to feed the fish once a week. The fish didn't produce enough waste, due to lack of food, to change the water chemistry. The only thing I lost was about 3 inches of water due to evaporation.