Vacation Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Fishboy123, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Fishboy123

Fishboy123Valued MemberMember

I'm going to France on vacation and I am so excited! But my 10 gallon planted fish tank really doesn't have anyone to take care of it for about 1 and a half weeks. Could they do well for that long without food or should I buy a feeder? If so does anyone know of a good type of feeder?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

I would not be overly concerned about it. I have left fish for a week before, and a few more days is not going to be critical.

3. renthusWell Known MemberMember

The biggest thing I would be worried about is evaporation and such. I've had weird things happen where I leave for a week and I come back to a half-empty tank. I still have no idea what caused this, but a couple weeks ago I left just for a weekend, and when I came back, one of my 5.5g tanks only had 3 inches of water in it. Luckily the three bumblebee gobies QTing in it didn't seem too upset, and the filter was still running.

Just make sure you do a big water change before you go.

4. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

If your tank has a lid that will help minimize evaporation. I agree with the above posters that your fish will do fine without food while you're gone. Just do a water change before you leave so they have clean water and they'll be fine. If you're concerned about your plants dying, you can set the tank light on a timer.

5. Witchydesign

WitchydesignWell Known MemberMember

Also, dont forget to leave your ac/heat on. Here if i didnt leave it on the house would easily get to 90+ temperatures, which would contribute to evaporation and eventually mess with tank temps.

6. OP
    OP
    Fishboy123

Yea thanks guys ac will be on and I will do a water change so no feeder needed?

7. FiscCyning

FiscCyningWell Known MemberMember

No feeder needed. They'll be just fine. :)

8. frogfanValued MemberMember

if your concerned they have vacation feeder blocks they are white slow dissolving blocks but i find these just cloud the water and get attacked by snails so its pretty pointless. There are also have mechanical feeders on a timer but those could fail and fill your tank with way to much food. so basically there is a risk no matter what you do but like every one else said they will probably be fine fish can live some 2 weeks or so with out food if you want to do something consider getting some high quality foods a variety of high calorie foods to feed in the days and weeks after you return because they will lose some weight while our gone .

9. OP
    OP
    Fishboy123

These are small neon tetras I guess I'll feed a little bit more than normal and see what happens I don't want any causilaties

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice