Vacation Fish?

1. Fishboy123 Member Member

I'm going to France on vacation and I am so excited! But my 10 gallon planted fish tank really doesn't have anyone to take care of it for about 1 and a half weeks. Could they do well for that long without food or should I buy a feeder? If so does anyone know of a good type of feeder?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I would not be overly concerned about it. I have left fish for a week before, and a few more days is not going to be critical.

3. renthus Well Known Member Member

The biggest thing I would be worried about is evaporation and such. I've had weird things happen where I leave for a week and I come back to a half-empty tank. I still have no idea what caused this, but a couple weeks ago I left just for a weekend, and when I came back, one of my 5.5g tanks only had 3 inches of water in it. Luckily the three bumblebee gobies QTing in it didn't seem too upset, and the filter was still running.

Just make sure you do a big water change before you go.

4. FiscCyning Member Member

If your tank has a lid that will help minimize evaporation. I agree with the above posters that your fish will do fine without food while you're gone. Just do a water change before you leave so they have clean water and they'll be fine. If you're concerned about your plants dying, you can set the tank light on a timer.

5. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Also, dont forget to leave your ac/heat on. Here if i didnt leave it on the house would easily get to 90+ temperatures, which would contribute to evaporation and eventually mess with tank temps.

6. Fishboy123 Member Member

Yea thanks guys ac will be on and I will do a water change so no feeder needed?

7. FiscCyning Member Member

No feeder needed. They'll be just fine. :)

8. frogfan Well Known Member Member

if your concerned they have vacation feeder blocks they are white slow dissolving blocks but i find these just cloud the water and get attacked by snails so its pretty pointless. There are also have mechanical feeders on a timer but those could fail and fill your tank with way to much food. so basically there is a risk no matter what you do but like every one else said they will probably be fine fish can live some 2 weeks or so with out food if you want to do something consider getting some high quality foods a variety of high calorie foods to feed in the days and weeks after you return because they will lose some weight while our gone .

9. Fishboy123 Member Member

These are small neon tetras I guess I'll feed a little bit more than normal and see what happens I don't want any causilaties