Vacation Fish Feeding

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by natureandwildlife, Jun 24, 2019.

1. natureandwildlife

natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

I'm going on vacation for 1 week and I planned on getting some food tabs to feed them. However, I have heard some bad stories about these products. I mainly have seen 2 types in the store.

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-...-slow-release-tropical-fish-feeder-17794.html

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/food-and-care/feeders/top-fin-10-day-fish-food-feeder-17789.html

Which would you recommend? Will the first one last a whole week? I have a Mystery Snail and Amano Shrimp in my tank and I want to make sure they will eat it too. My Dwarf Gourami can be a hog so should I get the smaller ones (the type for Bettas) but put several in? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

2. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

If you have no choice I would pick the second one as it will break down slower and has less risk of sending your nitrates souring

3. NC122606

NC122606Well Known MemberMember

I am going to agree with @nikm128 someone was complaining about the cloudiness from the other one. Also, if you are gone often then get an auto feeder if this is like not often then I would stick with this.

4. Seansrl

SeansrlValued MemberMember

If your budget allows you could also just go with an automatic feeder. Eheim has one that usually sells for about $25.

Here’s a link to it on amazon:

EHEIM Everyday Fish Feeder Programmable Automatic Food Dispenser

5. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

If you want things to go bad fast, then sure, go ahead and buy either one. I'm less worried about nitrates soaring than I am about your fish eating too much, getting dropsy, and dying.

One week of fasting is nothing. Your fish will likely be fine.

6. OP
    OP
    natureandwildlife

natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

I worry about what my Dwarf Gourami would try to eat if I didn't feed him for a week. I think he may try to eat my shrimp. I looked into an automatic feeder but I would use it so rarely. I think I'm going to try the vacation feeding block. The second one I linked above.

7. hbstriker

hbstrikerNew MemberMember

I’ve used the eheim feeder. Dialed it in with painter tape to hold the opening to the right amount.