Vacation feeding??

Analisemcg

So I’m leaving for vacation for five days and I was wondering if my fish/amphibians can make it that long without food? I have

4 rasboras (2 harlequin and 2 lamb chop.. it was an accident lol)
3 bettas
One African dwarf frog (getting more in future)

If not I can get my grandpa to feed them but the frog’s feeding method is so specific that I am worried about it.

FishPlanet

So I’m leaving for vacation for five days and I was wondering if my fish/amphibians can make it that long without food? I have

4 rasboras (2 harlequin and 2 lamb chop.. it was an accident lol)
3 bettas
One African dwarf frog (getting more in future)

If not I can get my grandpa to feed them but the frog’s feeding method is so specific that I am worried about it.

Most healthy aquarium fish can go without feeding for three days to a week without eating. However, it usually isn't recommended to go more a day or two without feeding unless completely necessary.

Upvote 0

Analisemcg

Most healthy aquarium fish can go without feeding for three days to a week without eating. However, it usually isn't recommended to go more a day or two without feeding unless completely necessary.

what do you recommend I do?

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I know nothing about ADF sorry.

If the fish are adults or juveniles not week old fry and the tank has a stable nitrogen cycle a week is no problem for the fish to not eat.

I have gone away for ten days. Without feeding my small fish.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

I have gone almost 2 weeks w/out feeding, though that is the most I'd go. About 13 days. But they can survive up to 3 weeks.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Leaving for five days should not be a problem. Do a big water change before you leave, and immediately upon return. All fish were happy and hungry.
If you are concerned you could ask a trusted person to check and provide report.
Or prepare a small food container like a pillbox with a pre-measured portion of food to drop into the tank.
ADF, I don't know, sorry.

Upvote 0

FishPlanet

I know nothing about ADF sorry.

If the fish are adults or juveniles not week old fry and the tank has a stable nitrogen cycle a week is no problem for the fish to not eat.

I have gone away for ten days. Without feeding my small fish.

I was usually mean to my fish, neglecting them 'cause I thought that feeding them was too hard!! I usually feed them once a week!

Upvote 0

bettafairy

ADF’s can go up to a week without food, so as long as you see them eat a big meal before you go and feed them as soon as you get back, you shouldn’t have any problems :)

Upvote 0

FishDin

what do you recommend I do?
They will be fine. When you return, just continue with your normal schedule. The bioload will actually be less when you're away because they won't be fed. I have 3 tanks with various fish. They go 2-3 weeks without food every year when I go on vacation.

In my situation, I do a water change just before I leave and as soon as I return, but you'll only be gone less than a week, so just proceed like any other week. Do your normally scheduled weekly 50% water change before and after vacation.

Enjoy your vacation.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I haven't fed my harlequin rasboras for a month. But they are in a planted tank with lots of cherry shrimp that they can hunt if they wanted.

The bettas are a concern because they are horrible hunters due to the giant fins.

The ADF will try to eat your fish. You may end up missing a fish...

Upvote 0

bettafairy

I haven't fed my harlequin rasboras for a month. But they are in a planted tank with lots of cherry shrimp that they can hunt if they wanted.

The bettas are a concern because they are horrible hunters due to the giant fins.

The ADF will try to eat your fish. You may end up missing a fish...
I’ve never had a ADF become aggressive due to hunger especially if op feeds them before leaving. They tend to be skittish around fish in my experience!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies
Views
GlennO
Replies
Views
Honem
  • Question
  • ShannyB
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Dobert
Replies
Views
StarGirl

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom