Vacation feeding?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by minceymeatpie, Apr 21, 2012.

1. m

minceymeatpie New Member Member

Hi guys,

We are planning to go away for 4 days next week and I'm wondering what the best options for vacation feeding are... There are the usual vacation feeder blocks but the last time I used one of those (a 7-day feeder) I came back to discover all the fish had ich and the water was just gross.

I also have a Nutrafin 2x feeder - the el cheapo version - but it has been a piece of junk. Also, my tank has a BN pleco and a clown pleco and so I can't set that up to feed algae wafers at night. Will the plecos eat flakes??

I'd ask friends but nobody really lives near me.

Any suggestions welcome. What do you guys do when you go away?

2. B

Borisbbadd Guest

If need be, your fish can easily go 4 days without food.

When I go away, I have a friend who feeds them.
    I use a pill box, with each days portion in it's own day.
    Works out really well, no over-feeding.

3. S

STLBluesFan Valued Member Member

i find most vacation feeders to be not worth while. in all honesty. if you are only going to be gone for 4 days, you could consider feeding them a little more than usual the day before and then fasting them those 4 days.

4. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed not to worry about it. I purposely fast my fish periodically. And know of some who have left their fish for over a week with no one to feed them.

Take your trip, fast your fish and set up a timer for the lights if you don't already have one.

5. OP
    OP
    m

minceymeatpie New Member Member

Thanks guys, was a little worried as I have a new setup in my cycled Fluval Edge of 6 galaxy rasboras and 10 red cherry shrimp... They are eating quite enthusiastically so I guess I will give them extras for a couple days before we leave. As for the 20g, my neons are positively obese, although my clown pleco is (I think) a closet eater - I never see him eat - ever - but he is a stocky little fellow and there's plenty of driftwood in the tank. Perhaps I should put in some zucchini just before I leave as well as some shrimp pellets.

6. u

uphill4me Valued Member Member

Many nutrients such as certain B vitamins cannot be stored more than 24 hours.

I use flake and fresh hatched brine shrimp auto feeders, pellet injected veggies.

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, just let them get a little hungry, they will be just fine when you get back, and quite happy to see the tank lid open and food appear lol. I travel a lot for work and during the week I just let the tanks be, and during the weekend I feed twice a day when I know I'm going out again for another week. The fish are none the worse for wear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice