Vacation feeding of Dwarf Puffer

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by 2HeadedBoy, Jul 11, 2015.

1. 2HeadedBoy

2HeadedBoy Valued Member Member

Hello all,

Haven't been around in a while but I figure this is the perfect place to get my question answered.

I'm going on vacation for a week. How often do I need to get my Dwarf Puffer fed?

My gut instinct is every other day. I'm leaving on a Sunday, so if I feed before I leave I would have my brother come over to feed on Tuesday and Thursday. Then I can feed when I get home on Saturday.

My brother is a busy guy and I am trying not to make him come over every day, but I know he will if I ask him. He's good like that.

Background info on the puffer...
    I got her in December so I'm guessing she is about a year old.
    She is alone in a planted 5G hex.

Thanks in advance...

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome back.....!
    From what I know, most fish are fine for up to 2 weeks without being fed. But I'm not sure if it's different for puffers. MJDuti or MollyPalooza may know.....

3. MJDuti

MJDuti Well Known Member Member

He should be fine. But if your brother can come over a couple times it'd be better. Just make sure he knows how much to feed. If not, feed him well and give him a water change before you go.

4. MollyPalooza

MollyPalooza Valued Member Member

Your DP will be fine for a week without food as long as the water quality is good, so I agree that doing a water change right before you leave is a good idea.

Having your brother come over once or twice to feed is nice if he's available, but it's not essential. You could pre-portion a few bloodworms into a ziploc bag for him in the fridge, and just have him give those so he won't accidentally overfeed. Water quality in a 5 gallon can go south really quickly if there's uneaten food rotting in there.

5. OP
    OP
    2HeadedBoy

2HeadedBoy Valued Member Member

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I definitely do a water change right before I leave for vacations.

And yes, whenever I go on vacations, I pre-package food for my brother to feed my tanks. I also make him come over and go through a feeding session with me, as well as type up written instructions for the feeding procedure. I’m thorough like that.

As this is the first time leaving my puff, I wasn’t sure of a proper feeding schedule. You folks have answered that for me, soooo…

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice