Vacation feeder recommendation?

Mistykins

I will be on vacation twice in the next few months and was wondering if there are any good recommendations for a slow release feeder. I have various tetras, two plecos, three snails, and khuli loaches. My first trip will be for 9 days and the second will be for a month. I will have my son in the house, but at 19 years old I am thinking I would rather be safe than sorry if he forgets to feed them. I was looking at reviews on Amazon, but so many good reviews are mixed with really bad reviews, and I don't know what to think about it. Thanks!

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore

I would avoid vacation feeders if at all possible. Even if your son forgets to feed daily your fish will be alright. In fact if you aren't going to be there to do your weekly water changes it would be best not to feed them daily. They should be alright even if they are just fed once a week.

Upvote 0

Mistykins

Welcome to Fishlore

I would avoid vacation feeders if at all possible. Even if your son forgets to feed daily your fish will be alright. In fact if you aren't going to be there to do your weekly water changes it would be best not to feed them daily. They should be alright even if they are just fed once a week.
I was wondering if it would be okay to have them eat less often, so thanks for the quick reply. I can have my son change out some water on my long trip, but he's not going to want to syphon the crud out of the bottom, so less food would definitely be better on that trip. (Though he would clean it if I asked him to, he does work long hours so I would feel bad.) Thanks again!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Since he is going to be there to feed them occasionally you should be able to enjoy you vacations without worrying about your fish. We actually spoil our fish by feeding daily. I know I do. I am sure their wild cousins don't find food daily. Even if he just feeds them every third day or so your water pets should be fine.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

For the 9 days, I would change there water the day before and feed them. They will be fine for 9 days without food.
For the longer vacation, I would do a 75% water change the day or 2 before, then feed them. I would have your son feed them every 7-9 days after that until you get back.
I would also leave out in either zip lock bags or little containers the right amount of food for them for each feeding.

Enjoy your Vacation,

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
philly27
  • Question
Replies
Views