Vacation Care

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by SugarJunkee, Dec 19, 2012.

1. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

Hey guys. We'll be going out of town for almost 10 days for Christmas. All 3 tanks (37g, 20L, and 5g) are pretty settled in, so I figured I would do a good 75% water change and vacuum job on them the night before we go. Also plan to plug the lights in through a timer.

We have some good friends who are willing to come once a day to feed everyone. I totally trust them to come feed, but they don't have fish so its a shoot if they'd accidentally over feed. The fish will have to forgo their frozen food treats for the week, obviously a bit awkward to ask someone to thaw bloodworms and daphnia, then drip them in the tank with a straw...

My question is, what are your experiences with having someone feed the fin-kids while you're gone? I see those weird vacation feeder things that you drop in, and have heard of putting flake food measured into those daily pill boxes, etc. Any advice?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

10 days is not long at all for them to go without food. It is plenty long for someone to screw up your tank though. I would just do the water change and leave things be.

3. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Like Jaysee said, I wouldn't worry about feeding them either. Is this a planted tank? My main concern when leaving is that the plants wouldn't be getting enough light, then I come home to a bunch of melting plants. But then again, I don't use a timer on my tanks.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you decide to have someone come and feed your fish while you are gone, pre-measure the food you want fed daily into paper cups or even a dated pill box and hide the rest of the food. I've seen posts where members had someone feed their fish, the person didn't feel the food was enough and added more. They came home to a really nasty tank.

Some links/tips in the links below:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/72745-members-going-vacation.html#post845535

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=63&ref=4620&subref=AA&cmpid=E-_-LAN-_-111109-_-P2

Travel safely and best wishes for your fish!

Ken

5. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

One of my biggest concerns when going away for extended periods is evaporation and possibly loosing a filter as a result. I would prepare a container of treated/heated/aerated water to leave at the ready, and have someone at least top off the tanks occasionally.

For a week or ten days, this shouldn't be a major problem unless you have an unusually high evaporation rate.

6. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Hope you don't have semi-aggressive to aggressive carnivores. They will tend to get nippy and even eat their smaller tankmates if they go hungry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice