Vacation-anything I'm Missing?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by JessicaSwanlake, Aug 20, 2019.

1. JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlakeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +126
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hi,

I'm going on a trip for 6 days and I just want to make sure there isn't anything I didn't think of. I know my 10 gallon shrimp tank will be fine. I pushed back my regular WC a day so my next water change can be the day I get back. It's a lightly stocked tank, only about 10 adult cherry shrimp and 5-10 babies in it so I'm just going to feed them well for the few days before I leave and then they will still have some algae and biofilm to eat while I'm gone.

For my two larger tanks which have water changes of about 30-40% twice a week, I am just moving the seccond WC up a day to the night before I leave and was planning on doing a 50% once I get back. I also added 2 sweet potatoes a couple weeks ago at the top of my Oscar tank to absorb even more nitrates and they have been staying pretty low. Almost all the fish in these 2 tanks are juvenilles, but since they are all 6 months old I think they should be okay without food for 6 days since I am going to feed them normally until the day before I leave. Even in my oscar tank the nitrates are holding at 5-10 with the floating plants and sweet potatoes, so I'm not too concerned about that.

I'm going to have all the lights off when I'm gone and will have the blinds down for tanks near windows. I also have a house/cat sitter coming twice a day to feed my cat and check on the house in case a filter stops working or there is a leak.

Is there anything I didn't think of?

2. treadingwater

treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +160
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would just say to make sure all the tank top is covered just in case someone decides to make a jump for it and make sure your house sitter knows that they aren't to feed the fishes. Otherwise, enjoy your vacation!

3. OP
    OP
    JessicaSwanlake

JessicaSwanlakeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +126
    Experience:
    2 years
    Oh, that's a good point, I should probably put a weight of some kind on the oscar tank lid. He can jump hard enought to lift flap on the lid if he thinks he sees a bug, and after a few days of not eating who knows what kind of damage he could do, lol.