Vacation Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nicole B, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Nicole B

Nicole B Valued Member Member

Say you were going on vacation for a week and your tank wasn’t cycled yet.

What would you do?
    How would you feed your fish if you had no one to feed them?
    We may have someone to feed them but just worried that if we don’t they will die without food for a week
    And a few days.
    I’ve heard the feeders that you can buy at pet stores aren’t the greatest. Any advice is appreciated :)

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

What kind of fish do you have? Most fish can go without food for a week. I wouldn't add any of those vacation blocks, especially since your tank isn't cycled. An automatic fish feeder might be a good option; I use them on my community tanks whenever I go on vacation and they work pretty well.

3. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

You could try buying an auto-feeder... I think those would be more reliable than the little cubes of food that you pop in the tank to supposedly last a week... but if your tank isn't cycled, going a week or more without water changes or dosing with Prime is going to be a big problem... the high levels of ammonia & nitrite in your tank could kill your fish. In your case, it sounds like figuring out how to feed them while you are gone is the lesser issue... :nailbiting:

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Automatic feeders are not recommended, they have gone haywire, and released all the food at once, or suddenly.
    You then have a larger mess than you would of had if you got someone to feed.

5. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

We still have a month before we go and we are very close to being cycled so we are hoping we are by then but never know :( we have been having trouble cycling.
    I might have to find someone that can come dose prime and check levels and feed fish! Maybe do a water change.

Oh no! That is what I have been hearing. Ugh!

We have mollies. And snails.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Don't feed. They won't die without food for a week - I've done it many times with my tanks, and even longer. Since the tank is cycling, it's better if they won't get fed during that week, since you're not there to do water changes and keep the water clean for them.

7. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

I don't have any experience with either auto-feeders or vacation food 'blocks' - just giving 2 options if you don't have someone to come in to feed your fish. I've heard bad things about both as well... but you gotta think an autofeeder must work for someone, or nobody would ever use them?
    The best option of course is to find someone to come in while you are away... but that's not always possible.

8. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

What about fry? We have 2. I also think one of the females is pregnant again.

9. Velma

Velma Well Known Member Member

Do a water change the day before you leave and don’t feed until you come back home. Feeding the fish before you leave will foul up the tank in your absence.

Do not use an automatic feeder or “vacation tablets.” Both are unreliable and foul up the water tremendously. I just let my fish tanks go and no one checks on them when I’m out of town, they all do fine. The only thing I would worry about is the water evaporating. I had to have someone come in and top my tank off with water every few days so my filter wouldn’t run dry and catch the house on fire.... :)

10. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

Check your parameters and make sure the tank is clean. Other than that don't feed the fish at all. They will be fine without food for a week.

11. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Oh my!! What size tank do you have? Ours doesnt seem to evaporate that much. So that shouldn’t be a concern. We haven’t ever topped off the water in the month we’ve had it yet.

12. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

A
    Actually I got two feeders from petco about half a year ago and they are still alive, they are good!

13. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

What brand?

14. GrayGray4231

Like, to feed your fish or to keep as pets??

15. OP
    OP
    Nicole B

Fish feeder.

16. GrayGray4231

I got mine at petco.

17. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

18. Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

I had a 5g over stocked while cycling (i know I made a mistake but I have a bigger tank now that im working on) we had an emergency trip out of state we had to take. We were gone a week but I had someone come to feed them. I instructed them to only feed them once, 2 of the 5 days we were gone (we fed them before we left and as soon as we came home) it helped from them over producing ammonia while we were gone. one passed but he was sick before we left and died when we came back home. Im a first time tank owner so im sure you could get better advice but that was my experience in a similar situation.

19. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The fry should be fine too.

20. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice